DX10 Cards? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Closed Thread
Old 05-28-2006, 01:22 AM   #1 (permalink)
Content Team
Default DX10 Cards?

Im running a system right now with an AMD Athlon 64 3500+, 2 gigs RAM, and 128MB eVGA 6600 GT. I know that I need a new video card. I was seriously thinking about getting a 256MB 7900 GT OC, but was wondering what you guys thought about the DX10 cards? How long till' theyre out? 3rdQ 06? How much will they be? Should I upgrade now, or wait.? What do yous guys think?

Old 05-28-2006, 02:01 AM   #2 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

There really isn't much out about either of ATI or Nvidia's DX10 offerings.

Nvidia is supposed to release theirs Q3 of this year. ATi is aiming for the end of this year. As for the price, I wouldn't know. I would guess they'll be more than the current mainstream cards, but the current mainstream cards will probably drop in price before then. We'll just have to see.

Well, if it was me, I would wait. You have a good enough system to get you through till they're released.

Some info I found on Wikipedia. (None of this is official, I don't think.):
Nvidia (G80): 48 Shaders; GDDR4 memory, but the flagship card may have XDR DDR; built on 80 nanometer technology.

ATI (R600): up to 64 shaders; GDDR4 memory; similar design as the XBOX 360 video card (ATI built that, so that's why.); built on 65 nanometer technology.

<br><br><font color=\"black\"><b>There's No Place Like </b></font><font color=\"red\"><b></b></font><br>
Old 05-28-2006, 04:37 AM   #3 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

That would be 64 unified shaders in the ATI card, meaning it can be used for either Pixel piplines or shaders which could be interesting seeing how these two cards compare.

None of this is official anyway so don't really pay attention to the specs yet.

The 6600gt is fine for the short wait though, and you will regret getting anything now.

Cisco CCNA, Comptia A+, 1/3 through CCNP
Old 05-28-2006, 02:04 PM   #4 (permalink)

doesnt the G80 also have unified shaders? i read somewhere that it does, or will.
Old 05-28-2006, 02:11 PM   #5 (permalink)

Originally posted by Trifid
The 6600gt is fine for the short wait though, and you will regret getting anything now.
I agree, buying a high-end card right now would be folly. Maybe if you get a good deal on a 7900GT KO SC or something, as DX10 games won't be out until 2007, but anything else is just a waste of money. Don't go higher than a 7600GT.
Closed Thread