Dx10

Status
Not open for further replies.

KNiGHTMaRe89

In Runtime
so let me get this straight.

DX10 will be backwards compatible with DX9 etc. And you will be able to use DX9 video cards to play DX10 games -- but the physics and graphics won't be as intense or lifelike as it would on a DX10 video card?

i hope that makes sense.

Yes DX10 will be backwards compatible with DX9

and yes you will be able to play most of DX10 games with DX9 video card but graphics won't look good as on DX10 video card

no that's not quite true. DX9L is basically an XP port of DX10 from Vista. this will enable DX10 cards to work in DX10 mode in XP. yes DX9L and DX10 will work with DX9 cards, however that does not mean you can play a DX10 based game. you will only be able to play DX10 based games if they are designed to work with DX9 renderers as well.

http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=35140

"DX9.0L is a special version of DirectX 9 for Vista only that allows DX9 games to run with Vista's new driver model. It's not possible to run D3D10 on XP without running in pure software emulation.

The D3D10 API was designed around the new driver model in Vista. In addition, Aero Glass runs on DX9.0L. Aero Glass is one of the main reasons DX9.0L exists on Vista.

Our sources also confirmed that L in DirectX 9.0 L stands for Longhorn. So we are back at the beginning - you need to buy a new graphic card and a new OS to have the hardware DirectX 10 acceleration on an API that supports it.
"

cvb724 said:
no. dx9L is only for windows xp. dx10 is the only dx available for vista right now.
I'm not really sure what you're talking about, but you need to re-read where ever you got that "fact" from.

Dx9L (Legacy or Longhorn, depending on who you ask) is for Vista so that it can play Dx9 games (and below, obviously). Besides that it had Dx10 (they are designed around each other) which will enable newer Dx10 titles to look "pretty". Dx9 cards (and people still on XP) won't be able to play these titles with all the effects turned on properly, and will get a degraded visual experience because of this.
IE Microsoft wants you to buy Vista, so they're giving gamers incentives, such as "You won't be able to play new games in all their glory without Vista."

From what I understand about DX10. This is not 100% offical, as I have not taken much interest in it, but:

DX10 itself is only for Vista. I cannot see there being any DX10 only games for a VERY long time. Even games coming out now will work on a DX7 card, although not as "shiny"

Not too sure about DX9L. From what I have heard it is an update for DX9 on WinXP. I am not actually sure what it is meant to do. Maybe help support some DX10 features?

The major aspect of DX10 is that it handles system resources a lot differently, and cannot be integrated into WinXP without stripping it down and remaking it. Maybe I will do some reading of official press releases and do another post unless someone beats me to it.

Even 2 years from now, most games will probably run in either DX9 or DX10 mode. A lot of modern games run in either DX8 or DX9 mode. Some either have separate .EXE files. I wouldn't worry too much about it. Reason why the new 8800 cards have created so much hype is their power and "unifying shapers", which give game programmers more freedom with graphics. That may actually be the DX10 feature.

Also, Be aware the TheInquirer is NOT a reliable source for solid information. It was them I believe that said "9.L would be an "emulation" of DX 10.0 for XP"

Weather this is true or not, I cannot say.

fangs2000 said:
\
Not too sure about DX9L. From what I have heard it is an update for DX9 on WinXP. I am not actually sure what it is meant to do. Maybe help support some DX10 features?

\
Refer to my above post. DX9L is NOT for WinXP. It's for Vista so that people can run older games.
Till now this is how DirectX has worked:
Dx8 had all aspects of Dx7, plus some. Dx9 had all of Dx8 and Dx7, plus some more. ie each was mostly building up on the previous. DirectX10 is a whole new animal, unrelated with the previous ones. That's why there needs to be a DX9L for Vista to allow it to run previous titles, as its not possible with Dx10 (it will only run Dx10 titles).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom