Dvi - Hdmi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pinscher

Fully Optimized
My lcd: Sceptre 22" x22-wg supports HDMI. I have an 8800 GTX and am wondering if I would get an advantage if I bought a DVI to HDMI cable and hook it up. What do you guys think?

DVI can display at far higher resolutions than HDMI. does the monitor also support DVI? if so just stick with that. for years pcs have had resolutions higher than TV sets, with HD (which is a little higher res than 1024x768) there is no difference. VGA can go up to 1280X1024 and DVI even further.

Actually, HD is 1920x1080. But as far as DVI vs HDMI... HDMI is the same as DVI, except it also carries the audio signal with the video. So, I wouldn't worry with any DVI-HDMI cable.

DVI and HDMI are more or less the same thing but I heard that HDMI has a built in copy protection protocol that DVI doesn't have. I'm going to look into it right now though.

Edit: Yes, HDMI has Digital Rights Management technology built in

Theres no benefit in this situation HDMI is digital and DVI is digital the cables are near the same except that HDMI is encrypted so needs a decoder when used to connect HDMI to HDMI. The DVI - HDMI cable is used to connect a computer to another non-standard monitor like some form of television which normally have a VGA input when pc input is boasted in the specifications so then you would lack the benefits of digital unless you use the HDMI conversion cable is used to plug into the HD port.

sorry to hijack this thread but does anyone know what type of signal I'am currently using in the system in my Sig as my monitor didnt come with a DVI cable but I do have a DVI-VGA cable so currently my graphics card>>>>dvi to vga adapter>>to a VGA-DVi cable>>> to the DVI input on my monitor. Am i using digital or analogue??

Theres no benefit HDMI is digital and DVI is digital the cables are near the same except that HDMI is encrypted so needs a decoder when used to connect HDMI to HDMI. The DVI - HDMI cable is used to connect a computer to another non-standard monitor like some form of television which normally have a VGA input when pc input is boasted in the specifications so then you would lack the benefits of digital.

sorry to hijack this thread but does anyone know what type of signal I'am currently using in the system in my Sig as my monitor didnt come with a DVI cable but I do have a DVI-VGA cable so currently my graphics card>>>>dvi to vga adapter>>to a VGA-DVi cable>>> to the DVI input on my monitor. Am i using digital or analogue??

You are using analog. Since VGA is ONLY analog, and DVI cables can carry both analog and digital, when the signal gets to your VGA cable, the digital signal is thrown out.

Why not get a DVI cable?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom