Dvi

Status
Not open for further replies.

AntonOle

In Runtime
Hi guys...

Can someone please explain this :

The DVI to DVI cable that came with my new display is missing some pins (Some in the middle, and under and over the little flat pin. I have noticed this since the DVI to Analogue transformers that come with the ATI card have all their pins... Is this normal? I wont loose any performance from the card if i use the dvi to dvi that came with my display right? Are those extra pins needed because of the transofrmation from analoge to dvi?

thanks

Hello,

There are different types of DVI. The type will depend on how many, and the formation of the pins on the DVI connector:

svg2rasterdl1.jpg

this is the dvi that comes with my display (and im currently using to connect my display with the card :

dvi-single.jpg

This is the kind of connector to be put on the analogue cable (that came with the card)

dviiplug.jpg

if i use the first one it doesnt matter right?

Hello,

Looking at the formation and number of the pins, the DVI cable that comes with your display is a DVI Single Link, digital signal cable. Therefore, this indicates that you have an LCT TFT digital monitor. Many of the early LCD TFT monitors are analogue, with only a VGA connection.

If you were to use the DVI to VGA connector, and use a VGA cable instead to hook up your monitor to the graphics card, then the signal can only be analogue, since VGA is an analogue cable.

You'll want to use the DVI cable, because it will send signals to the monitor in digital format, which is better than analogue in terms of quality.

Wikipedia has a detailed article about Digital Visual Interface if you want to find out more.

update : (so i wont need to make a new thread :) )

Since i moved from alaloge to digital the "auto adjustment" feature doesnt work anymore... Is that only for the analoge mode?

Hello,

The auto adjustment feature is for analogue signal only. DVI doesn't need an auto adjust feature, because (in a nutshell) each pixel in the output buffer of the source device corresponds directly to one pixel in the display device. Therefore the vertical and horizontal alignment of the image is always in the right place.

You can usually change the scaling method in the graphics card display settings. For example, in the Nvidia Control Panel, when using DVI (digital signal), a DVI scaling menu will be available, allowing you to specify how the graphics card will scale non-native resolutions to the LCD TFT monitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom