DVD-Ram mass erasure (jukebox?) - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Closed Thread
Old 05-10-2007, 09:33 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default DVD-Ram mass erasure (jukebox?)

I work for a gov't agency that employees the use of in-car video cameras that record audio/video upon DVD-Rams. We mostly use double-sided DVD-Rams that contain 4.7 GB of storage per side (we must manually flip these over within the car's recorder to recorder to record on the second side).

A write-protect software program automatically protects the recorded data upon those DVD-Rams from being erased/altered. To erase and reuse a DVD-Ram that has already been recorded upon, we must use a different software program that we have installed on a desktop PC to disable the write-protect setting (upon disabling the write-protect, this software then automatically ejects the DVD-Ram whereby we then reinsert the DVD-Ram into the computer). We can then erase the recorded data upon a single side of that DVD-Ram. Then, for double-sided disks, we flip them over and repeat the process.

Is there any way to erase multiple DVD-Ram disks at a single time rather than going through the above process for each individual disk? I was thinking along the lines of a DVD-Ram "jukebox" that would allow several DVD-Rams to be placed within it for erasure and that would ideally allow the write-protect disabling software command to be made just once for all the inserted DVD-Rams rather than having to disable each one separately.

Or perhaps some of you have some other ideas? We have looked at replacing the DVD-Ram video cameras with hard-drive cameras transmitting data to a multi-terabyte server but found such a system to be, at present, cost-prohibitive.

Thanks for any advice you might be able to provide.

Old 05-11-2007, 10:09 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master Techie
Default Re: DVD-Ram mass erasure (jukebox?)

by dvd-ram do u mean dvd-r they are 2 diff things.

also i have seen of machine that hold about anywhere from 20-100 discs and burn/erase the same on every disc inserted. im not sure where u would go about buying one but i do no they exist. they kinda look like a big server with cd drives set in rows. try google for research and find retailers etc..

<<<Please give me Rep if I have helped you<<<

I7 930 @ 4GHz : Noctua D-14
Gigabyte X58A-UD7 : Asus GTX 480
G.Skill Trident 1600MHz 6-8-7-18 : Samsung F3 1TB
OCZ Vertex 2 50GB : Silverstone RV02 Case
Silverstone Strider Plus 1Kw : Sony DRU-870s Optical
Samsung P2350 Monito

Old 05-11-2007, 02:28 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Thanks for the suggestion, baron5. Yeah, we use DVD-Rams (DVD-Ram disk enclosed by protective plastic casing) like the Maxell 9.4 GB double-sided disks (reorder # 636045).

I have found some DVD-Ram Jukeboxes online - - - such as those found at Don't put a dime into these jukeboxes or at JVC : MC-7000 Series DVD-RAM Jukebox Specifications. I just don't know if they will do what I want them to do with regards to my first post on this topic.

Also considered the possibility of hooking up several external DVD-Ram drives to a single computer or to a central hub and then to a computer - kind of like making our own "jukebox" but with a bunch of external drives. (We currently use the Fantom Drives external DVD-Ram drives - model # FDRAMUMP - and have a single Fantom DVD-Ram drive hooked up to a desktop). Not sure if it is possible to have external drives hooked up in this manner and have a single software command affect all drives simultaneously or if we would still have to select each drive separately to issue the commands (the latter would not really simplify our situation).
Old 05-12-2007, 02:32 AM   #4 (permalink)
Super Techie

I don't have any advice for a jukebox.

If your looking for a replacement system, Check out school bus/police car MDVRs (mobile digital video recorder)

The RouteRecorder® 2C uses a removable 2.5" mobile rated hard drive (laptop hard drive)
School Bus Surveillance Camera Systems - Safety Vision
Closed Thread