dust - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 10:20 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default dust

There's a lot of dust where I live. Is there a case/cooling option that will allow my gaming desktop to be pretty much airtight so the dust won't get inside?

Old 09-25-2008, 01:45 PM   #2 (permalink)
disgruntled ex-moderator

Default Re: dust

nope. unless you can put your computer in a vacuum, you just have to clean it out. it has to take air in for cooling.

Old 09-25-2008, 03:00 PM   #3 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wait321 View Post
There's a lot of dust where I live. Is there a case/cooling option that will allow my gaming desktop to be pretty much airtight so the dust won't get inside?
You can buy a relatively restricted airflow case (e.g. only 2 fan openings) and then put dust covers on the fans.

The basic problem is that computers generate heat which must be dissipated into another medium. Unless you have water cooling, that medium is air.
HSF: Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro
MOBO: MSI P6N SLI-FI 650i
RAM: G.SKILL 3x1GB DDR2 800
SND: Creative Audigy 4
SPK:Logtech X-540s
MOS: Logitech MX600 Wireless Laser
LCD: HANNS-G 28" Widescreen
Old 09-25-2008, 03:48 PM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I think I heard somewhere that if you have a filtered fan blowing wind into the computer, dust won't be a real problem inside. Does anyone know if that works?
Old 09-25-2008, 04:19 PM   #5 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Send a message via AIM to Lexluethar

Dust will still get into there. It would have to be air tight, in which case it would overheat because you have to have ventilation, which requires openings.

Just regularly clean your computer - not a big deal. Use compressed air every few weeks and spray the inside. You could also place the tower in a low-traffic area of the house, and off the floor to mitigate the dust accumulation.
Old 09-25-2008, 05:23 PM   #6 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to jfenwick Send a message via MSN to jfenwick

Quote:
Originally Posted by wait321 View Post
I think I heard somewhere that if you have a filtered fan blowing wind into the computer, dust won't be a real problem inside. Does anyone know if that works?
Dust particles vary in size, the larger ones will get caught and the smaller ones will get through. Ironically the filter gets more effective as dust collects in it, more dust stuck in the filter means the openings get smaller and smaller. but eventually, if left long enough, they will clog entirely.
Old 09-26-2008, 08:02 AM   #7 (permalink)
Techalicious

Send a message via MSN to Redmo0n

The other day i got my friends air compressor and gave my pc a blast. Good was it exhilarating, dust flying everywhere as i blew them out of their home in my pc.

If your computer gets dusty just give it a run over with a vacuum and and air compressor once a year~
Old 09-26-2008, 09:00 AM   #8 (permalink)
disgruntled ex-moderator

once a YEAR? lol i say more like once every 1-2 months, especially if you are in a dusty environment. or if you have cats.