dual thread vs. dual?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pengyou

Baseband Member
The general consensus seems to be that an AMD Dual core is better than an Intel dual core.

I am wondering...is a dual core AMD better than a dual Xeon, that actually has 2 processors?

You are probably asking "what do I mean by better?" I would like to make a kind of HTPC with a few extra functions. I want to leave it on 24/7. It will have to be able to record TV, FM Radio and internet radio or tv, as well as serve as an answering machine/ fax machine SIMULTANEOUSLY. Speed is one factor. Stability is another. Another factor, which is harder to describe, is that I like to overbuy a motherboard and underbuy CPU's, then as the price of the cpus gets cheaper I will buy another.

I know that a mobo that actually has dual cpus needs software designed for dual cpu's...does xp do this?

i would get a dual core opteron for that sort of use. in my opinion dual cores are superior to dual single core processors. Xeon's are purely intended for servers and don't adapt that well to general tasks. look at the opteron 165 perhaps, good cheap dual core that should be rock solid for 24 hour usage. DO NOT use dual xeons for a HTPC

I don't know what I was thinking sugesting 4 cores for that (although I could have done with one core per program for what I was doing this morning.)

I would though, probally go for a higher clocked opteron and not bother with overclocking as you want stability and it to not get any where near a high temperature.

The new intel core duo yohna processors are better than the X2s and optys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom