Dual Monitors - Sli Enabled? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 12-21-2007, 04:50 AM   #1 (permalink)
Super Techie

Default Dual Monitors - Sli Enabled?

Alright, I was running 3 monitors great before I switched up my PC. Here's my new PC specs.

Here's my current system ... Rate my PC - Scale 1-10, Comment
(I have a 500GB Seagate 7200.11 and a Corsair 620W instead)

Anyways when I disable SLI it will not allow me to run dual monitors. However even when I have it disabled I can only use 2 of my monitors. I want to enable SLI and run all 3 monitors. Any ideas on what I can do here? I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. I obviously want SLI enabled.

Here's a screen shot of my NVIDIA Control Panel - http://img209.imageshack.us/img209/2443/picqv1.jpg

Old 12-21-2007, 10:20 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Default Re: Dual Monitors - Sli Enabled?

Not possible. SLI disables multiple monitor support. To run 3 monitors you would need to turn off SLI and have each monitor plugged into a different port, i would assume 2 on the first card, 1 on the second card. The only way to run SLI AND multiple monitors is to use a third video card from someone other than Nvidia.

Old 12-21-2007, 01:16 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by veedubfreak View Post
Not possible. SLI disables multiple monitor support. To run 3 monitors you would need to turn off SLI and have each monitor plugged into a different port, i would assume 2 on the first card, 1 on the second card. The only way to run SLI AND multiple monitors is to use a third video card from someone other than Nvidia.
Hmm, alright my motherboard actually has 3 pci express 16 slots. I have my 2 8800 GT SLI in two slots. So if I stick in my ATI Radeon 512MB video card I can use all 3? Will that defeat the purpurse of having two sweet cards? Will the 2 other monitors use the 8800 GT or the Radeon? (I also have a 128MB Video Card. Which would be better to use?) I just don't want it to start using my old video card when I'd rather focus it all on the 2 hot ones. What are the pluses and minuses of disabling and enabling SLI? Let me know!
Old 12-21-2007, 01:23 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lord Techie

I assume you are using a 680i board. What i did was enable SLI then plug in my 2nd monitor to my ati 1650pro (in the middle slot) for the extra monitor.
Old 12-21-2007, 01:41 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Techie

Quote:
I assume you are using a 680i board. What i did was enable SLI then plug in my 2nd monitor to my ati 1650pro (in the middle slot) for the extra monitor.
Yep, I use a EVGA 680i. Funny enough, that's the exact same Video Card I have too. So then you'd say it won't cause any differences? It'll just use the card for the other monitors? What about the graphics on the other two monitors? What cards does it use?
Old 12-21-2007, 02:49 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Sli will use the video 1 output of the main GT while leaving both outputs enabled on the 1650. I hope you got a better 680i than i did. Mine burned up on me last weekend. Waiting in line to trade it in on a 780i.

Step 1 turn off computer
Step 2 plug in gaming monitor to GT
Step 3 plug in 2 other monitors to ATI card
Step 4 boot up and turn on SLI, reboot if necessary
Step 5 go into display properties and extend desktop to other monitors.
Old 12-21-2007, 03:23 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Techie

Quote:
Sli will use the video 1 output of the main GT while leaving both outputs enabled on the 1650. I hope you got a better 680i than i did. Mine burned up on me last weekend. Waiting in line to trade it in on a 780i.

Step 1 turn off computer
Step 2 plug in gaming monitor to GT
Step 3 plug in 2 other monitors to ATI card
Step 4 boot up and turn on SLI, reboot if necessary
Step 5 go into display properties and extend desktop to other monitors.
Alright, I did all of this. However for some reason it keeps disabling my ATI Radeon Video Card. It keeps saying the driver does now work the the VGA adapter. However when I go to the ATI drivers I have the most current driver installed.

Menus - http://img144.imageshack.us/img144/7624/picny8.jpg
Display Settings - http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/6062/picdo8.jpg - When extending 3 and 4 it does nothing. However there is only 1 monitor plugged into the GT's. Other 2 in ATI.
Old 12-21-2007, 03:43 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Are you using vista? If so...heh sorry. I could only get it to work in XP vista would always disable my ATI card too.
Old 12-21-2007, 03:50 PM   #9 (permalink)
Super Techie

Quote:
Are you using vista? If so...heh sorry. I could only get it to work in XP vista would always disable my ATI card too.
I see, yep I have Vista Ultimate. Ah this is gonna be a pain ha. Any buddy have any ideas? Would it be completely stupid to disable SLI?
Old 12-21-2007, 03:53 PM   #10 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Basically what you have to do is just disable SLI unless gaming. Or just stick with XP until such time as SLI works properly in vista. I love having a copy of vista that i dont even use.