Dual-Monitors - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 06-02-2006, 02:09 AM   #1 (permalink)
True Techie

Default Dual-Monitors

I'm going to be starting CAD drafting soon and have decided on going with dual-monitors instead of a widescreen. This way I can put spec sheets of the product on one side and the drawing I am working on on the other. I'm hoping to keep it to maybe $250 max. I'm hearing there's not really a recognizable difference in DVI or VGA connections, but I figure if DVI is available, why not..

LG makes a good product and the price is right. What do you guys think of this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824005046

My current monitor is a 17 inch HP. I want two 19's, so I figure I'll get one now and upgrade some other time.

I am also curious...if I play a game on dual monitors will I get basically 1/2 the graphics power (frame rate) since the output is to two monitors? I'm thinking no, but somebody please reinforce my thinking. Thanks!

PS- Before anybody asks, my GPU has one VGA and one DVI outut. The HP I have now uses the VGA.

Old 06-02-2006, 02:25 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lord Techie

well if you play a game unless it has multiple monitor support or you have the desktop setup in a stretch setting (not sure though) it will only display on one monitor. there will be perhaps a couple of fps drop because it has to serve the secondary monitor with 2d graphics

Old 06-02-2006, 07:42 AM   #3 (permalink)
There and Back again

nitestick is correct.... I have a duel monitor setup on my other system, and while playing FEAR I only get one screen and still no noticable FPS drop. But the stretch settings are only for your desktop back ground. You would just have to enable the other screen from the desktop properties. I also have them on one so I've got the adapter on... Still no difference. Go for it...

Dell 4K S2817Q / Logitech Z-680 / Func MS3 Mouse / Corsair K70 LUX rgb
NZXT Source 530 / i5-7600K / Corsair H100i v2 / ASRock Z270 Extreme4
SM951 M2 256GB / 850 evo 1TB / Seagate 2TB / WD 2TB
2x16GB Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000 / evga Classified GTX 980 ti / Seasonic M12II 850W

Old 06-02-2006, 02:57 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Techie

I have duel and its really awsome. I dabble in stocks and I really use the extra space, also helps when talking to people on a messenger you can still work while talking. Im actualy considering geting a cheap $20 graphics card and hooking up anouther monitor.
Old 06-02-2006, 10:24 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lord Techie

i too have dual monitors. sure does increase my homework productivity . it really helps when i have an assignment i have to crossreference with something else i've typed because i can have both documents full screen at the same time.
Old 06-03-2006, 12:09 AM   #6 (permalink)
Super Techie

Im runnin duel crt's, and i really use it a lot. I had to get an adapter because my video card only has one vga output, but i really use the second one a lot. I can monitor my temps and cpu usage and stuff while im gaming. Also, it really helps when comparing products and making lists for builds. But you dual LG idea sounds good. go for it.

22" Widescreen Sceptre LCD monitor 5ms
OCZ 700W psu
320gb seagate w/ perpindicular tech.
Creative SB X-Fi Fatality
Thermaltake Armor: Extreme Edition
Closed Thread