Dual HD System for new DAW ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

mark4man

Baseband Member
Was looking at GigaByte, Asus & Intel MoBo's over at Price Grabber, in hopes of custom building a new new digital audio workstation; & it looked to me like these new-tech boards (& their accompanying BIOS') only offered one IDE Channel.

[In the past (& on my current machine)...the best performance for PC based digital audio recording was to run the multitracking software (SONAR, Cubase, etc.) on the primary drive/channel; & utilize the secondary drive/channel for the recording & playback of audio data.]

Not knowing anything about RAID...I began looking into this; & found that all the new systems utilize SATA. But...how would the above dual drive channel scenario be accomplished? Are all SATA drives connected to one channel? Do I have to go to RAID for a system with two drives/channels? If I do...is that system more or less effeicient (than separate IDE channels) for the described use?

What should I do?

Thanks,

mark4man

Each SATA drive basicly has it's own channel. If you want one disk for program and OS and another for your music you just plug them both in basicly. Their are no true channels unlike IDE.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom