Status
Not open for further replies.

uneeb83

In Runtime
SO I was browsing this morning about the intel core I7

Heres something that I found interesting

ASUS-039-First-Dual-1366-Socket-Mobo-Spotted-at-CeBIT-2009-3 Image / Picture

Check this pic out....

I am about to build another core I7 for my little bro to give him on his birthday:) (He is gonna be 11 now:D)

Anyways I ran into this awsome dual CPU core I7

Wanted to know when such mobos are going to be released and what price will they be at and is it safe to buy them or are they gonna crash or something:p

long story short........I have about 3.5K for the bros system. can I manage? or what else should I go for??:confused:

Personally I think that a dual CPU core I7 would give me some awsome perfomence for atleast another 8 years....but that is from a boy who knows NOTHING of Dual CPU's

ENLIGHTEN ME

Meh, probably not all that great. They tried this with 775 and it was a bust. It was called skulltrail and there really wasn't any logical reason to buy it. I heard it was buggy too.

Now... YOURE BUILDING A 3.5K I7 SYSTEM FOR YOUR 11 YEAR OLD BROTHER!?!?!?!

You could build him a great system for $1000 or a really kick*** system for $1500-$2000. He's 11, how much power does he need? I had a crappy HP when I was 11 and I was pretty happy with it. I'm not recommending an HP but I'm just saying, I don't think he will need that much power.

If you want to build him an amazing system though, i7 is really the way to go. A good system will last him 3-4 years if he can tolerate turning down settings later down the road.

...you're building a core i7 rig for your 11 year old brother with a budget of $3,500. I'm calling BS.

Asus Shows Off Dual Socket 1366 Motherboard - Tom's Hardware

It's a dual socket mobo, it supports SSI PSUs, Xeons, RDIMM, UDIMM, and supports ECC. That screams server.

For an 11 year old or anyone who just wants to play video games on their computer, their is no point in getting this motherboard. You have to seriously try to bog down a Core i7 w/ 6GB of RAM as it is. That motherboard being in a 11 year olds computer would be a complete waste of computational power and electricity.

If you're serious about building a computer for your brother and really do need help picking out parts, we'll all happy to help.

Newegg has several dual socket lga 1366 motherboards.

Newegg.com - Computer Hardware,Motherboards,Server Motherboards,Dual LGA 1366,

The Core i7's may not support dual socket boards so you would need to use the Nehalem based Xeons instead although there isn't much difference between them.

Newegg.com - Computer Hardware,CPUs / Processors,Processors - Servers,LGA 1366,Quad-Core,

To be honest dual nehalems is complete overkill for a desktop unless you are planning on doing a lot of detailed 3d modeling or cad work. You probably won't see a performance increase in games either since it's unlikely any current games are coded to take advantage of 8 cores. The one advantage is it would be as future proof as currently possible.

Wow that was a quick response:D

Anyways....My 11 year old bro happens to be the most enthusistic gammer I have EVER seen......:D

I mean how many 10 year olds get to win the city championships for CS source:laughing:

He has been crying about "the Most Powerful System On EARTH":rolleyes:well thats how kids are these days

So my father gave me a budget of 4K to find him a kick*** system thats future proof for ATLEAST 7-8 years!!!!!.......

And here I am:cool:.....Although I know nuthing about games but I do know this that they are fun to play and they need more and more processing power with every day...:p

I managed to convince my bro to let me take out 0.5 K for a new GFX (GTX295):D...thats for my own CPU

Theorotically..... a duel CPU I7 is just what I need...But as always I am open to segesstions

Our house runs completely on solor power so there are no power issues

with that cash I would go i7 965 overclocked to the hilt.
2x gtx295
asus rampage II
2x ssd raid0
corsiar 1000watt
6gb corsair dom ddr3 2000

Can your father adopt me?

I"m sorry but that rubs me the wrong way,

ok so say your brother does want the "most powerful" computer imaginable:

1). he's not going to really understand or have the know how to use it, I mean I started learning at 14 but 11? baah, I'd like to see this , maybe I'm doubtful but I have to ask,

"Seriously?"

2.)how's is he gonna know how to tell the difference between a 4k vs a 1.5k i7 system?
truthfully unless you have triple 30" monitors is something is that range (which is completely ridiculous imo) you won't know a difference, I wouldn't

3.) relating 1 and 2 any overclocked 1.5k~2k range i7 build overclocked will surely beat a stock 4k build

look, I'm not trying to step on your toes but you have to realize that it's seems common to newcomers think they'll need to spend exorbitant amounts of money for a great build but the truth is you don't :D

my dream build with water cooling and everything would cost right at 2k atm,

if you really wanna give him something for bragging rights get the kid a car :p

as far as a dual i7 set up? nahh, wouldn't even think about it unless your brother is big into setting up networks and servers lol,

anything with "dual" cpu does in fact SCREAM server

excuse me if that's somewhat rude but it would be a ridiculous waste of money that I wouldn't want to be a part off

as said by Otis kicka** builds start at the $1000 table

Wow that was a quick response:D

Theorotically..... a duel CPU I7 is just what I need...But as always I am open to segesstions

Our house runs completely on solor power so there are no power issues

Dual i7 is not just what you need. There is not one single game that will benefit from having 2 i7s. I'm willing to bet you would actually lose performance. This kind of stuff is meant for servers and highly intense 3D/ rendering work. Don't be naive.

Now you say you're looking for a rig that will last 7-8 years... sorry to break it to you but tech moves waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too fast for that. Look at computers 8 years ago. That was when I had my HP with a TNT2 GFX card in it... that is stone age in the computer world. I will put together a rig that will be a very strong rig for a good 3 years, after that you will see diminishing performance in the newer games. They will still be playable, but you will not being play on max settings. Give me a minute and I will make a parts list for you.

Newegg.com - Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

Newegg.com - EVGA 141-BL-E759-A1 LGA 1366 Intel X58 SLI Classified ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards (put this on there because the regular one is sold out)

Newegg.com - CORSAIR Dominator GT 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2000 (PC3 16000) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

Newegg.com - PC Power & Cooling PPCT860ESA 860W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Power Supply - Power Supplies (got this one with extra headroom so you can overclock the crap out of your 920)

2x Newegg.com - EVGA 01G-P3-1182-AR GeForce GTX 285 FTW Edition 1GB 512-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

Newegg.com - LG W2753V-PF Black 27" 2ms(GTG) HDMI Full HD 1080P Widescreen LCD Monitor 400 cd/m2 50000:1 w/ Smart Package - LCD Monitors

Newegg.com - Western Digital VelociRaptor WD3000HLFS 300GB 10000 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives (OS and games)

Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives (everything else)

Newegg.com - LIAN LI PC-P80 Black Aluminum ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases

Newegg.com - SAMSUNG Black 22X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 16X DVD+R DL 22X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 22X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe - CD / DVD Burners

Thermalright "Limited Edition" TRUE Black Ultra-120 eXtreme CPU Heatsink (Socket LGA 775 / LGA 1366* / AM2 / Xeon*) - FrozenCPU.com
Now this is about 4x as much computer as an 11yr old who plays source will need but whatever.

Btw, thats cool that your house runs on solar, you better do some folding with this rig ;)

That dual board looks cool but it probably won't overclock well if at all. Aftermarket cooling, it doesn't look like theres room for 2 good heatsinks. It looks like a server board so I'm doubting it's SLI or Crossfire compatible. I would probably use it for a paperweight.

Pinscher list looks good though I would have to recommend a bigger power supply for a Quad SLI setup. I have one of these, it's an excellant power supply.
Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER Real Power Pro RS-C50-EMBA-D2 1250W ATX Form Factor 12V V2.3 / SSI standard EPS 12V V2.92 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom