Dual Core Opterons Went Up In Price?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lazerman

Fully Optimized
Okay so I am looking at a AMD Dual Core Opteron 170, and this is just a couple of weeks ago and it was only like $356 on Monarch. Now I go back again and it is $410 dollars. The AMD Dual Core 165 Opteron is $330 some odd dollars when it was only $290 earlier. WTF?

I thought things got cheaper over time? Why would they get more expensive over time and lose quality over the same time?

Supply and demand.

There's been a run on the Opeterons, and the supply is short right now. Sort of like what happened to gas a couple of months ago...

And as for less quality; It doesn't get worse. It just gets better. There are 2 theories as to why they overclock less;

1.) AMD gets better at speedbinning (making) the processors, so they can limit what it can do better. This has some credibility, but the next one is perhaps better.

2.) At the beginning, when Athlon 64 3200+s were in more demand than the other Athlon 64s, AMD would take 3500+s and 3800+s and underclock them, lock them at 2.0Ghz, and then sell them as 3200+s. Ofcourse, a native 2.4GHz processor will overclock more than a native 2.0GHz processor. But when a native 2.4GHz processor is sold as a 2.0Ghz processor, then it will overclock much farther than the native 2.0Ghz processors.

Less quality meaning they are putting out in the beginning chips that can exceed the stock clock, and after time they try and get by with the cheaper chip which can barely do the stock clocks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom