dual core

Status
Not open for further replies.

El_Roberto

In Runtime
is dual core any good for gaming cos im lookin at buyin a new cpu and want to know wether single or dual core is better

Umm the dual core isnt yet needed for games but for pretty much everything else.I think if you can afford it go with a dual core.But it would be better to invest your money into a better gfx card if youll be foing gaming.just get 2 1gb of memory and put it in dual channel the DIMM slots with the same color.Any CPU AMD 3200+ and up is a great choice and will handle any game out.Socket 939 of coarse.

Most games right now dont utilize the power of dual core, so single core cpus are more powerfull for gaming right now, but in the near future, dual core cpus will be utilized by games and will be more powerfull.

ulater6000 said:
Most games right now dont utilize the power of dual core, so single core cpus are more powerfull for gaming right now, but in the near future, dual core cpus will be utilized by games and will be more powerfull.

actually a dual core cpu will be just as powerful as most of the single cores, except only 1 core is utilized instead of the possible two. i'd get a dual core though, they're the future.

A dual core will be fine for games, but only one CPU will be being utilized. This can be handy if you want to run spyware/ virus sweeps or burn a cd etc. while gaming. If you just want pure gaming power though, go with an AMD FX series depending on your budget.

They've been blowing multi-proc gaming up our @ss for at least 4 years now. Only when developers run out of single core speed will we see multi-proc gaming. Dual core would be nice for one reason, occationally you notice a little split second glitch on a single core pc, dual would allow you to have one core just running your game, and the other to handle background tasks.... No split second glitch just as you round a corner, bleh.

Of couse you could just get rid of those by ending like 20 useless programs that cause 90% of that, but I barly have the interest to play some game let alone spend time killing programs and then starting them up afterwards.

If you overclock, I would suggest the Opteron series instead of the Athlon X2s.

For gaming specifically dual cores do not give any real performance boost. They probably give a bit of a performance drop (by a little bit) because each core singuarly is slower than a faster single core cpu. However dual core gives you more flexibility because you can set one program to encode or burn or whatever onto core 1 and play a game on core 2. Get dual core if you can afford it.

yeah we're at the point now where a low end dual core processor is not much more than i higher end single core processor, so i'd say get a dual core.

For the same price, you could get a single core that was much faster than a Dual Core, and would perform better. But when Dual-Core games come out, you'll be stuck in the dark.

Here's one thing you can do. Get an Opteron 165, its a 1.8GHz Dual Core processor, exactly the same as an Athlon 64. However, they overclock much better than A64s and you can get the 1.8GHz Dual Core to 2.6GHz or higher 80% of the time. Thats as good as any single-core processor out there. So you get a Dual Core with single core power. Ofcourse its more expensive ($325) than a single core that would do the same thing ($170).

But then...you're stuck when the time for Dual Core games comes. Or you could upgrade your processor when those games come out, provided 939 is still around since AM2 is taking over. But you end up spending $170+$325 for processors, so thats kind of weird.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom