Dual Channel, Raid, and Raptor Hard Drives

Status
Not open for further replies.

Akumajin

Baseband Member
So I realized that each of these things barely increase performance by themselves, but when added together can cause a pretty nice performance increase when working together.

Now I'm making a good $1200 ish system, but I have a 250 gb SATA150 already.

For RAID, I know there is RAID 0 and RAID 1, one where you mirror the drive for backup purposes and one where you run two together to get better speeds or some such. How does this work, and how do I set it up? I'll be running XP 32bit and Vista 64bit in partitions. Is it worth the trouble, and if I did the RAID where they work together not mirroring (is that RAID 0 or 1?), are there any negative effects at all?

For Dual Channel, let's do a scenario. I will have 2 x 1gb of brand A. I will also have 2 x 1gb brand B. Assume speed and timing of the RAM is the same for all 4 sticks. Each of the two sticks will be dual channeled with their respective brand counterpart fine in 64 bit Vista because it can read the 4 gb. However, if I boot into 32 bit XP, will it still be dual channeling all 4 sticks and just read 3GB or will it simply not read the 2 x 1gb sticks that are channeled together?

Also, is there a way to disable dual channel? How big of a speed increase is it?

I know Raptor drives are expensive ($150 for 74gb), so I probably won't use them unless I find a really nice deal. How big a speed increase is it? The hard drive is always being used whenever you are doing anything, so it effects everything right?

Akumajin said:
For Dual Channel, let's do a scenario. I will have 2 x 1gb of brand A. I will also have 2 x 1gb brand B. Assume speed and timing of the RAM is the same for all 4 sticks. Each of the two sticks will be dual channeled with their respective brand counterpart fine in 64 bit Vista because it can read the 4 gb. However, if I boot into 32 bit XP, will it still be dual channeling all 4 sticks and just read 3GB or will it simply not read the 2 x 1gb sticks that are channeled together?
If you boot into XP 32bit, it will still be dual channeling. Just not all the 4GB of RAM will be recognized.

Also, is there a way to disable dual channel? How big of a speed increase is it?
Why would you want to? My guess is that the difference is 5-10%? But I don't see why you would disable it.

I know Raptor drives are expensive ($150 for 74gb), so I probably won't use them unless I find a really nice deal. How big a speed increase is it? The hard drive is always being used whenever you are doing anything, so it effects everything right?
The increase in speed isn't worth the price. If you want a fast hard drive, that has more bang for your buck, then I'd suggest either the WD7500AAKS 750GB, or Seagate 7200.10 models.

I would want to disable it if I was in the 4gb scenario below and if doing DC with 4gb disabled those two 1gb sticks were disabled because of DC I'd disable it.

Also, do I need to enable it or is it automatic?

None of them are disabled in a 32bit environment. It's just that a 32bit OS cannot see more than 3-3.5GB of RAM.

It's automatic.

i believe that 32bit still uses 4gb of ram but only 3.5GB is seen by the OS. i had i similar situation and read this of many sites.

the negative effect of raid 0 (together) are that if 1 hdd fails u loose all data. all of the setup is done through bios.

the negative effect of raid 0 (together) are that if 1 hdd fails u loose all data. all of the setup is done through bios.

Actually most Raid drives have to be setup by creating a disket (yes that means you need a 3.5" floppy drive) because windows needs to load the 3rd party drivers when it is being installed. The mobo manual will tell you how to do this tho, its not that difficult.

What do you mean most RAID? Can I bypass that because my new case can't fit a floppy I think.

Also, is RAID worth it for the speed increase?

I wouldn't say it's significantly faster. I mean how can a 5-10 seconds of wait time hurt you? 7200rpm hard drives are pretty fast, in my opinion. Like the Seagate 7200.10 models.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom