DS3 or P5B-E Plus?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NZ-Disciple

Baseband Member
They're both supposedly the best at overclocking Core 2 Duos. I hear more about the the DS3. As long as you update the BIOS to the latest, all should be good.

Yeah, the DS3 and the P5B-E are both the best in their particular price range, but the P5B-E wins in a direct comparison. The reason I keep bringing that up is because there was a direct comparison of the two on [H]Forums. I was on the DS3's side in the beginning, but after learning more about the P5B-E, it is clearly the better of the two.

Both the DS3 and the P5B-E are both the best in their price range. If your looking to save a few $, go with the DS3, if your no concerned about cost, go with the P5B-E.

My experience with the DS3 has been great, no issues. I have also heard great things about the P5B-E, like higher OCs!!

I'd say to go w/ the DS3 (though I'm slightly biased cuz I have one) because it's cheaper and they're pretty compariable.

The only problem I had with my DS3 was that I couldn't figure out how to update BIOS (I didn't have a floppy drive) but it was really easy once I figured it out. The problem I had was that the mobo wouldn't let me OC past DDR2-667 until I updated BIOS...now I can get my ram up to DDR2-900 easily and probably into the DDR2-1000 area.

As a side-note, I hope that you're not from the USA because those prices would not stand here (very expensive). I would recommend the ram in my sig over the ram you have if you want to have a really nice OC. They're pretty much the same if you don't use them to run at DDR2-900 or higher though.

Ooh, I didn't notice that this was the ASUS P5B-E Plus. Its only sold outside the United States, and is even better than the regular P5B-E.

Plain and Simple; The P5B-E [Plus] is the better motherboard. If the price of the motherboard is really such a big factor, then go with the DS3, but if you can at all afford the P5B-E, then go with that, it is the better motherboards. Since I own neither, atleast I can be objective about this. >_<

I have a DS3. I doubt I can provide as much info as others since I'm not a heavy OCer (yet), but it is rock solid and has never given me a problem. :)

Well I put together my system last night with the DS3 and the E6400 with the Twinx DDR2 GSkill RAM and nothing happened. I sent it in to get diagnosed and they think the board or proc is no good. Not a good first impression to me... I want to cry about it, but that would look funny a big mean man crying about a computer.

Anyways, should have it back and running tomorrow. Everything is under warranty so getting it repaired for nothing. We shall see...

Found out my mobo was dead today. I thought it a bit dodgy from this guy to begin with. The mobo came and when I installed it I noticed in the middle it said S3 instead of DS3. But it was in the DS3 box looking unopened. I went online and evey pic I saw of themotherboard it said DS3 in the middle not S3.

So when the guy called and told me the board was dead he offered to put in a DS3 Pro. My question being that if I don't plan on using the SLI on the pro will that inhibit preformance at all? Or does it matter... and how much better is the motherboard?

Cheers :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom