DrumnBassBBoy's Official 1st Computer Build Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrumnBassBBoy

Baseband Member
Alright, this will be my official computer build thread. Currently, I am working on my FIRST computer build, so bare with me. On Wednesday or Thursday of this week, I will be ordering the rest of my parts list that has not been ordered. I wanted to get some opinions and tips on the build and preference on parts I have selected.

Goal of the machine is for high level of multitasking: Microsoft Visual Studio, Eclipse, Dreamweaver, Photoshop, Web Browsing, Video Playing, Music Playing, and some video game playing (Possibly SC2 and D3). I am looking to over clock the machine to 4.0Ghz - 4.5Ghz. I am a developer and am tired of off the shelf machines.

Parts list for the build:
Motherboard - Asus Rampage III Extreme
Processor - Intel Core i7-930
Memory - Mushkin Redline 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 2000 SDRAM
Video Card – Asus ENGTX470
Hard Drive - WD SiliconEdge Blue SSD / 64GB
Hard Drive - WD Blue HD / 80GB (Purchased)
Rom Drive - LG DVD Burner / GH24NS50
CPU Fan - Cooler Master V8 (Purchased)
Case Fan - Cooler Master Excalibur 120mm
Cord - CAT 6 550MHz UTP 7FT Cable / Red – 2304
Monitor Cord - 6FT Mini-HDMI (Type C) to HDMI (Type A) – 3645
Monitor - LG W2286 Flatron LED LCD
Monitor - LG W2286 Flatron LED LCD (Purchased)
Monitor - LG W2286 Flatron LED LCD (Purchased)
Power Supply - Corsair HX1000W (Purchased)
Computer Case - Corsair Obsidian 800D (Purchased)

Constructive Criticism Is Welcomed! :smile:

even if you dont want to run eyefintiny, i would recommended a 5870 or a 5850. 5870 is better, but a 5850 is still a beastly card.

Yeah, if you're getting 3 identical monitors it would be stupid of you not to go with an ATi card that supports Eyefinity, Eyefinity is designed for 3 monitor gaming and few people actually have 3 monitors to experience it. The 5870 is cost-comparable to the GTX470 but performs better (the GTX480 can outperform the 5870 but the 5870 outperforms the GTX470). The 5870 is also more power efficient, maxing out at 175W, idling at 27W (on a single monitor setup, idle can be higher on multi-monitor setups).

I honestly see no point in SSD's either, they're ridiculously overpriced for the size. I can't live with a 64GB primary drive especially dual-booting so I think they're useless unless you blow a year's pay on a RAID array of them to get decent size.

That's going to eat your developer requirements for breakfast. It seems like a pointless comment since you've already bought it, but 1000W is overkill.
In the future, I may run multiple graphics cards. I thought since I plan to over clock that I would probably be best off with a pretty high wattage PSU. With all my components that I am incorporating, is it really that overkill?

Whats your budget?
Hmm, with the components already purchased, I sit with a sunk cost of already a $1050.00; the rest of the components that I have on the list total up to about round $1750.00 (excluding shipping). If I can keep component prices and shipping cost all under $3000.00, I would be satisfied.

Unless you've already ordered it the Mushkin Redline 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 2000 is Out of Stock everywhere I looked in the past 2 hours. I was planning on buying that same kit today after I made a Bank Deposit. Instead I ordered this kit. https://shop.corsair.com/store/item_view.aspx?id=766411
Darn! Hopefully they will be in by Thursday when I am ready to order. GT's are a tad bit more expensive than what I am willing to pay. Worse come to worse, I may have to go with GT's...

Yeah, if you're getting 3 identical monitors it would be stupid of you not to go with an ATi card that supports Eyefinity, Eyefinity is designed for 3 monitor gaming and few people actually have 3 monitors to experience it. The 5870 is cost-comparable to the GTX470 but performs better (the GTX480 can outperform the 5870 but the 5870 outperforms the GTX470). The 5870 is also more power efficient, maxing out at 175W, idling at 27W (on a single monitor setup, idle can be higher on multi-monitor setups).

I honestly see no point in SSD's either, they're ridiculously overpriced for the size. I can't live with a 64GB primary drive especially dual-booting so I think they're useless unless you blow a year's pay on a RAID array of them to get decent size.
Why are SSDs pointless? I thought they were key for quick OS booting? What do you mean by dual-booting? I never knew about this Eyefinity business. I just researched it a bit, and it looks promising. Though, how does the 5850 outperform the GTX470?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Productcompare.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010380048%2050001315&bop=And&CompareItemList=48|14-121-370^14-121-370-TS,14-121-372^14-121-372-TS

i dont know much about Nividia graphics cards, but i know that Radeons run cooler and use less power...

When i built my computer, Nividia didnt have a Dx11 card, and Radeon had a few, thats the biggest reason i went with a 5870 over a 480.

In the future, I may run multiple graphics cards. I thought since I plan to over clock that I would probably be best off with a pretty high wattage PSU. With all my components that I am incorporating, is it really that overkill?

I run two dual card machines, granted not as powerful as this one, but they both run easy on 700W PSUs. Don't worry about it though, you've got a really nice PSU there and it will look excellent in that obsidian.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom