Drool....

MSI's marketing ****es guys like me off.

Z97 doesn't really add much to the table as a chipset. The only big thing I'm interested in is SATAExpress and M.2.

MSI's marketing ****es guys like me off.

Z97 doesn't really add much to the table as a chipset. The only big thing I'm interested in is SATAExpress and M.2.

It doesnt? So would you say the Z87 is just as good as their new z97?

Honestly I've built 3 machines with MSI mobos in them. Loved them all. Never any issues. Not to mention the click bios is so nice.

Any big name motherboard brand is going to be perfectly acceptable from the average to the moderately hardcore user. I'm not denying that. My issue is their stupid "gaming" moniker. They started this stupid trend and it's now taking off. People are starting to think you need "gaming" brand items for a better gaming experience. It's about as bad as game requirements stating an i7.

I actually used to happily use a few MSI boards in my AMD days. The 790FX GD70 was a damn beast and overclocked my 955BE higher than the Asus and Gigabyte top end 790FX boards.

Edit: It's kind of like P67a to Z77. Different features but unless you actually utilize them it's pretty moot. I had a 2500k and Biostar (yuck) P67a and had no interest in moving to Z77.

Last edited:
Any big name motherboard brand is going to be perfectly acceptable from the average to the moderately hardcore user. I'm not denying that. My issue is their stupid "gaming" moniker. They started this stupid trend and it's now taking off. People are starting to think you need "gaming" brand items for a better gaming experience. It's about as bad as game requirements stating an i7.

I actually used to happily use a few MSI boards in my AMD days. The 790FX GD70 was a damn beast and overclocked my 955BE higher than the Asus and Gigabyte top end 790FX boards.

Edit: It's kind of like P67a to Z77. Different features but unless you actually utilize them it's pretty moot. I had a 2500k and Biostar (yuck) P67a and had no interest in moving to Z77.

I can see that. Still a fan of msi but I can totally see the marketing strategy by them. Advertising it as the go to gaming mobo will bring more profit. I can't blame them. 70-80% of the consumers who buy computer parts are avid gamers. Why not market for it?

I can also see that the chipset upgrade is unnoticeable to hardware novices like me. Sounds cool though;) damnit their marketing team has already beaten me lol :)

I like them because I've never had issues. No mobo failings or DOA. They have a really nice bios that makes OC super simple a 3 year old could do it lol plus the red mobo and the dragon look great with the rest of my red parts and my red alchemy strips lol

Looks nice, Almost went with the MSI Z87-G45 Gaming board but ended up going ASUS on sale, ASUS's new Bios is pretty nice also and simple OC too but I'm still on stock fan so haven't played with it yet.

Dauntae

Maybe it's just me, but I really don't care about these new stupid bios features. I actually prefer the old style over UEFI because it thwarts noobs from trying to blow their **** up. That and I see it as, if I don't need to OC my SB CPU, then people with IB and Haswell shouldn't have the need either.

Maybe it's just me, but I really don't care about these new stupid bios features. I actually prefer the old style over UEFI because it thwarts noobs from trying to blow their **** up. That and I see it as, if I don't need to OC my SB CPU, then people with IB and Haswell shouldn't have the need either.

I do agree with not needing to OC. I think it's more of a "cool look at me my CPU is running hotter" kinda thing. I have mine OC sometimes and sometimes not. No true difference in terms of gaming. Just something cool to do.

Thing is and I'm super guilty of this; is that we care about how cool our rigs our. I mean for me my rig is like my life. I brag about it to my fellow nerds. Compare it to them as well. Talk about it to people who have no idea what I'm saying. I think OC is just a part of that fad. Did I need to spend like an extra 120 on cool fans and alchemy strips? Lol nah. But it's fun ;)

Yea that was me years ago. Now I'm humble and just don't care. A friend of mine who is in his 30s when we go to LANs still talks about 3dmark scores and I'm like dude....grow up. I STILL have AMD fanboys trying to argue scores and benchmarks to me. The dick swinging in the PC world is just as bad as car guys. Domestic vs import, Ford vs Chevy, rice vs muscle, whatever. It's all stupid. I love my rig as much as the next guy but I have learned not to bloat about what I have. If people ask then I'll tell them.

As recent as 4 years ago I used to care about small stuff like all that. I blew a ton of money between a good friend and I. It's the reason I went Intel to begin with. Now I have a dead phase change in my storage building because of it, couple of dead 280s and a dying one, a burnt eVGA P55 board, and I was broke for about 6 months to recoup. Dumbest **** ever lol. We were too busy about outdoing our 3dmark scores and trying to put records on hwbot.org. I got fed up and decided to trade my custom phase unit for an LN2 tank and arm while Kingpin was going to hook me up with a pot for cheap. My phase unit got screwed up in shipping, UPS ****ed me about getting my money back to me, I didn't get the tank, and he moved to tri-SLI 470s and an i7 920 setup under chilled water. That's when I said, I'm out. My gas station job can't keep up :lol:

Back
Top Bottom