DP to DVI adapter problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

carson1931

Baseband Member
I just set up my computer with three monitors using a display port to DVI adapter. The Monitor connected via the adapter will not sync to the monitors max resolution (1920x1080) like the other monitors. The highest resolution currently allowed is 1600x1200, but I have them all synced down too 1440x900 because its the largest common allowed widescreen resolution. Anybody have a solution that will allow me to have all three monitors at max resolution?

Thanks,

Carson Grogg

it has to be an active converter not a passive converter... or a monitor that has a DP plug.

i have no idea what that means but thats the way it works....

OK, to diagnose this problem we need more info!

1: What type of monitors? (Model, Native resolution, Available inputs)

2: What type of DP-DVI adapter? (is it active? active ones are bulky and need USB power)

3: What graphics card?

4: Are you trying to use Eyefinity? (ATi Radeon HD 5 series only)

If you're trying for Eyefinity, all 3 monitors should be the same resolution (and size, but that technically doesn't matter, it just looks better with them all the same size). You NEED a Radeon HD 5 series video card and one monitor must use DisplayPort. In fact, it must use DisplayPort signals, so a passive adapter (which uses DVI signals over the DP connector) will not work. This means that 2 monitors connect via DVI (or HDMI/VGA) and the third monitor must either use a DisplayPort connection (if the monitor supports it) or an ACTIVE DP adapter (these exist for DP-VGA and DP-DVI but the DVI ones are over $100 and require USB power). If your monitors are 1920x1200 or less, you can get by with the DP-VGA adapter and use a VGA connection on the third monitor, it should look fine (this is my setup, 3 Dell st2210 1920x1080 monitors, 2 on DVI, the third is on VGA through a $20 Sapphire DP-VGA adapter and all 3 work together well on my Radeon HD 5870).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom