Don't know what GPU to get!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ferrarza701

Solid State Member
Hi,

I am going to build a new gaming pc very soon but i don't know what Graphics card to get. The build will be when the new quad cores come out in Jan.

I don't know whether to get a 8800GTS G92 or wait for the 9 series which is supposed to release in February. And even then theres talk about a D8E which is a dual pcb solution much like the 7950gx2 which is rumored to release in Jan.

I read that only the high end new series card will release in Feb followed by the Mid-range in June. Do you think by high end they mean just the 9800GTX will be released? Or will it be 9800GTX and the GTS version? Or should i go SLI with two 8800GTS v2's?

The point is i don't want to get a Comp January and get screwed over the next month lol:)

Thanks.

Hmm. I'm not really into ATi, I Prefer Nvidia. But, I am getting a Asus P5E X38 mobo which does crossfire.

i'm not a crossfire fan myself, dont like the idea of having two huge cards in my case even if it does give me the edge over a single card. But then again i only play at 1360x768, so dual card setups are a waste.

I would suggest getting a 8800GTS G92 from EVGA then stepping up to a newer card as they come out. The GTS will hold you over no problems, and you will have plenty of time to step up to a 9 series card when they come out

I don't think i can do the step up program i live in Australia. So that's why i need to have a definite card because after that i wont be upgrading anytime soon after i get it.

90 days in the computer world? yeah, i do.

Everyone who knows anything about comps will know Nvdia will launch something yummy by Q2 of next year, seeing as his comp will be built in jan, there would definitly be a newer/better card coming out within that 3 month time frame. However, living in australia that scenerio wouldnt apply to him.

So the question becomes, what kind of gaming are you looking at?
Higher end cards like the GTS,GTX, ultra and crossfire cards are a good option for high res gaming, generally in the 1600, or 1920x1200 area. if you dont plan on playing games on that high of a resolution a GT would serve you better, or a 3870.

90 days in the computer world? yeah, i do.

Everyone who knows anything about comps will know Nvdia will launch something yummy by Q2 of next year, seeing as his comp will be built in jan, there would definitly be a newer/better card coming out within that 3 month time frame. However, living in australia that scenerio wouldnt apply to him.

So the question becomes, what kind of gaming are you looking at?
Higher end cards like the GTS,GTX, ultra and crossfire cards are a good option for high res gaming, generally in the 1600, or 1920x1200 area. if you dont plan on playing games on that high of a resolution a GT would serve you better, or a 3870.

100% right... and you know what the best part is?

Lets say i paid $200 for my 8500 gt (**** holidays jk) and i want to step it up to an 8800 ultra... 73 days later... well... that 200 dollars still carries over and goes towards the cost of the 8800 ultra EVEN THOUGH the 8500 gt is probably now 50 dollars cause its old tech...

and the best part? after you get the ultra... you decide to go for the 9800gtx... you can use that stepped up card to step up once again....

only problem is you better hope your not broke at the end of this 90 day period...cause then your stuck with old tech that your gonna have a hard time selling..

<3 step up program... makes me an evga fan boy kinda...

But... i still would go with crossfire over sli... come on... those two 3870's beat two 8800 gt 512mb in sli or at least break even with them.... AND the 3870's are cheaper by quite alot... and not sold out EVERWHERE...... -_-

Go with whats best imo... but then again its still up for debate what is best

100% right... and you know what the best part is?

Lets say i paid $200 for my 8500 gt (**** holidays jk) and i want to step it up to an 8800 ultra... 73 days later... well... that 200 dollars still carries over and goes towards the cost of the 8800 ultra EVEN THOUGH the 8500 gt is probably now 50 dollars cause its old tech...

and the best part? after you get the ultra... you decide to go for the 9800gtx... you can use that stepped up card to step up once again....

only problem is you better hope your not broke at the end of this 90 day period...cause then your stuck with old tech that your gonna have a hard time selling..

<3 step up program... makes me an evga fan boy kinda...

But... i still would go with crossfire over sli... come on... those two 3870's beat two 8800 gt 512mb in sli or at least break even with them.... AND the 3870's are cheaper by quite alot... and not sold out EVERWHERE...... -_-

Go with whats best imo... but then again its still up for debate what is best

I wish Nvdia would switch their focus from single cars setups and focus more on their SLI technology. Theres no reason why two crappy cards ( in general comparison) are beating out two better cards.

Nvdia has the lead, they have the resources, if they could bring their SLI technology up to par of the xfire, they would be unrivalled.

Im guessing nvidias high end card by q2 next year will be too expensive for me. I remember when the gtx's came out here they were $1000 now they are $699 for the cheaper brands.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom