Does running 32-bit Vista on a dual-core 64-bit processor bog performance? - Page 3 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 04:41 AM   #21 (permalink)
Patron

Default Re: Does running 32-bit Vista on a dual-core 64-bit processor bog performance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagasama View Post
kite fuel, yay-yer!
Time to get my board out I think its blowing a gale

Old 10-18-2008, 12:28 AM   #22 (permalink)
disgruntled ex-moderator

Default Re: Does running 32-bit Vista on a dual-core 64-bit processor bog performance?

dude that looks so fun.

Old 10-19-2008, 10:46 PM   #23 (permalink)
Biostar Stole my heart

Send a message via MSN to Hussein19891

Quote:
Originally Posted by veedubfreak View Post
And the sound of air can be heard rushing above Hussein's cranium.
hehe

Old 10-20-2008, 05:52 PM   #24 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Send a message via ICQ to Cunjo Send a message via Yahoo to Cunjo

a 32 bit OS will only bottleneck your PC's performance if:
1) you're using more than 3 GB of memory*
2) you're using a storage array of more than 2TB
3) you're trying to use 64-bit capable intensive computing apps for things like cryptography

64 bit will alleviate those problems, allowing for support of more memory, larger storage arrays. The downside to a 64-bit OS is that it drops support for 16-bit legacy applications, and the emulation at this point is dodgy. A lot of older, especially obscure or custom software will not work with 64-bit vista.

*Of course, considering that with Vista, anything -less- than 3 GB of memory will slow you down, I guess it's a reasonable deduction that you need the 64-bit version so you can add more memory.

EDIT:

Oh yah, and I know a guy who -does- have a 6 GHz dual-core processor... and it's awesome... it's just that he spent more money on a cooling system for it than I make in a quarter.
Old 10-20-2008, 06:24 PM   #25 (permalink)
Lord Techie

cascade on an e8600?
Old 10-21-2008, 03:45 PM   #26 (permalink)
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagasama View Post
dude that looks so fun.
Its awesome trust me if you nerdy geeks can brave the bright sunlight lol its worth it the speed can get up to a speed boat i.e. 60mph or in stormy conditions 100mph some people have surfed in hurrricane winds of 140+mph that's fast for a man strapped bare to a board!!! jumps from waves get a few metres in the air and the kite acts as a parachute for a soft landing or masses of tricks. Its not without its risks though many people en up in trees with broken bones.
Old 10-21-2008, 08:29 PM   #27 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Send a message via ICQ to Cunjo Send a message via Yahoo to Cunjo

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltynay View Post
Its awesome trust me if you nerdy geeks can brave the bright sunlight lol its worth it the speed can get up to a speed boat i.e. 60mph or in stormy conditions 100mph some people have surfed in hurrricane winds of 140+mph that's fast for a man strapped bare to a board!!! jumps from waves get a few metres in the air and the kite acts as a parachute for a soft landing or masses of tricks. Its not without its risks though many people en up in trees with broken bones.
I'm into the small sailboats more... lasers, butterflys... difference being you get a bigger sail, a deeper keel (daggerboard), and you stand horizontally instead of vertically.

It's colossal fun.

I used to win open-class regattas in those things.
Old 10-21-2008, 10:29 PM   #28 (permalink)
disgruntled ex-moderator

my watersport of choice. would love to try the kiteboard too.
Old 10-22-2008, 07:49 PM   #29 (permalink)
Master Techie

i tried going water skiing once and i failed miserably, never tried anything like that again.

I7 930 @ 4GHz : Noctua D-14
Gigabyte X58A-UD7 : Asus GTX 480
G.Skill Trident 1600MHz 6-8-7-18 : Samsung F3 1TB
OCZ Vertex 2 50GB : Silverstone RV02 Case
Silverstone Strider Plus 1Kw : Sony DRU-870s Optical
Samsung P2350 Monito
r

Closed Thread