Does applying thermal paste void CPU warranty?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flanker

Banned
Topic. Wondering because I might want to RMA my processor. Its a 3200+ Venice running at 49°C with the best fan cooling anyone can give it (Side off and a POWERFUL 300mm, probably 1000CFM house fan blowing into it. Got the system temp to 27°C with that, lol.)

Well, I think it said on my 3200+ Winnie instruction thingy that using any other thermal compound or HSF will void warrenty, not sure about your exact processer although they are made by the same company, only mine is an older model.

Does the clearer completely clear off the thermal paste? With like no indication if it was ever there? Because if thats the case, then I want to see how much the temps go down before I RMA it. My 3200+ Venice is IDLE'ing at 50*C! Its almost definite that i'm going to RMA it.

Thats one of the things I'm planning to do before I RMA it. Personally, I will be extremely relieved it its not my CPU thats defective, and if its my video card. I'm planning on replacing the video card anyway, but I don't want to replace the CPU.

umm..my 3200 venice is idleing around (web browsing) around 30-35C with a 25% oc on stock cooling...make sure the heatsink is on fully. thats not right...did you forget to take the platstic thing on the bottom. lol

What plastic thing on the bottom? On the bottom of the HSF? I didn't notice any plastic thing on there. You don't mean the thermal tape do you? I'm pretty sure if there was a plastic thing on the bottom, I took it off, because some of the thermal tape got on my finger (very little).

well the plastic thing is on the thermal tape protecting it from smearing around or what not in the package, so im guessing you took it off. if you didnt ill kill myself. anyuways is the clip all the way down. locked. trying pushing on the heatsink down onto the processor. hmmm. what could be the problem, maybe you have a wrong temp read out. are you using the bios or what?

Yes, I'm using the BIOS. And Abit BIOSes are known to give incorrect readings. But I'm still worried because my comp keeps freezing. That can be caused by an overheating CPU. I'll check the HSF sometime and get back to you on that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom