Does any AMD motherboard allow 2 Phenom cpus to be installed together? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 04-19-2008, 10:56 PM   #1 (permalink)
True Techie

Default Does any AMD motherboard allow 2 Phenom cpus to be installed together?

hey guys.. I know that the Opteron motherboards allow 2 cpus to be installed simultaneously on a single motherboard. I was wondering if there are any AMD motherboards that allow two Phenom X4 processors to be installed on a single motherboard as well? is there one in the works that you know of?

the 790X chipset does look promising.. I am just wondering if there is something like it that does or would allow two quad cores on one mobo in the future?

Old 04-19-2008, 11:03 PM   #2 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Default Re: Does any AMD motherboard allow 2 Phenom cpus to be installed together?

Nope, there was supposed to be AMD Phenom FX series, for Octo-FX but they never came out

I do not accept help requests and/or deleted threads/complaints by PM, Profile or IM/Email. Just ask on the forums! Also, I do have Lockerz invites if you want them, feel free to PM me your email if you want one :0

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the
or under my avatar; it helps me know that my advice actually helped you.

.. But things don't go according to plan! My Actual Rig, 2009:
Old 04-19-2008, 11:14 PM   #3 (permalink)
True Techie

Default Re: Does any AMD motherboard allow 2 Phenom cpus to be installed together?

aaah that sucks..

wouldnt that be cool though?

2 quad cores on one mobo?
Old 04-19-2008, 11:17 PM   #4 (permalink)
Ste
Do not Stare at my Avatar

Send a message via MSN to Ste

Yea if your running a server or a workstation, but for gamming and average use it wouldn't be cost affective..

And most games would take performence hits..
Old 04-19-2008, 11:18 PM   #5 (permalink)
True Techie

Performance hits? what does that mean?

wouldnt be 2 quads be performance enhancements to games anyways?

i am still kinda grounding myself with knowledge and concepts so dont mind me asking..
Old 04-19-2008, 11:21 PM   #6 (permalink)
Ste

Performence hit means that the frames per second one would recieve in any given game would most likely decrease or there may be extra lag or choppyness.

This is because there are very little to no games that are programmed to take advantage of quad cored cpu's much less TWO quad core CPU's with thier own memory.
Old 04-19-2008, 11:26 PM   #7 (permalink)
True Techie

oh right...

what do you think of AMD's new 790FX chipset?

I would also need someone to tell me if Phenom Black's L2 and L3 cache is bigger than the Q6600's ?
Old 04-19-2008, 11:29 PM   #8 (permalink)
Ste

Haven't been enough reviews on the boards to say.

I dunnue I haven't directly compared those two CPU's but it is straight forward if you just want to know which has more Cache.
Old 04-19-2008, 11:31 PM   #9 (permalink)
True Techie

the Q6600 says 2X4MB L2 Cache and this one adds upto almost 4 mb per core?
i am confused

this link to the 780G chipset shows Ati's Hybrid Graphics ......

it says:Improve your system performance by enabling the ability for both discrete graphics and integrated graphics to render simultaneously.

I m guessing graphics wise this could be a cheaper yet powerful alternative to Intel's mobos?
Old 04-19-2008, 11:43 PM   #10 (permalink)
TF's First Dry Ice User!

the onboard gfx for the 7series mobo's (amd not intel/nvidia's) is supposed to be quite good actually.

A notice to EVERYONE who has posted here with a computer problem, I highly encourage you to keep current with the forums, even if it's browsing for 10-15 minutes during lunch, or before you go to bed at night. There are many things that you can learn and apply to future issues. My goal is to help people get to a point where they can use their own knowledge to help themselves, and others.

Also please use the search button. You've got a 50/50 chance that someone's asked your question and we've answered it.
Closed Thread