Are DOA mobos really that common?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have only had a problem with this Asus board. So I will always buy anything but Asus. There are serious sound issues with on board sound. The problem is common enough too, I see it all over the place.

Questions:
1. You always use a anti-static matt and wirst band ground when you build?
2. You always ground the case?
3. You always wear anti-static groves when building?
4. You never touch the component interfaces for PCi and Pcie cards etc?
5. You always ground the mobo and take out the power cable to the PSU and then discharge all of the mobo capacitors before installing any component to the mobo?

The above five issues are the casue of DOA....I wil bet 99% of the time!

These mbo's are built in "clean rooms" and they do all the stuff above!!!!

Well Rico I would not say the Mobo is DOA. And I have built computers for 15 years so far, and never had I had an issue like this board. I would say yeah something was wrong with the board physically, but I see this exact problem repeated often on the net with this particular board. And to say that it was static discharge that rendered all these peoples boards inoperable int he exact same way is a bit fishy. Besides other than the popping sound the board runs.

There is some kind of problems with drivers, windows updates, XP drivers, or some kind of setting. But the board just seems to run into problems I guess.

Well Rico I would not say the Mobo is DOA. And I have built computers for 15 years so far, and never had I had an issue like this board. I would say yeah something was wrong with the board physically, but I see this exact problem repeated often on the net with this particular board. And to say that it was static discharge that rendered all these peoples boards inoperable int he exact same way is a bit fishy. Besides other than the popping sound the board runs.

There is some kind of problems with drivers, windows updates, XP drivers, or some kind of setting. But the board just seems to run into problems I guess.

Sounds like you got the 1%. :)

Sounds like you got the 1%. :)

Well it is a little more than a 1% defect rate, I really think it is the Soundmax chipset/drivers. They don't work in some situations, it is not super common, but there are a multitude of posts I have found with people having the same problems.

I have tried every fix imaginable. And my old MSI Mobo had on board sound and it worked perfect.

I have also never seen a DOA board, or any component for that matter. I'm pretty sure these "doa" people just dont know what they are doing and burned up the component due to stupidity.

i got 2 doa 7900gt's and its hard to mess that up. never have i seen a doa boar or cpu, ive seen psu, ram and gpu, never have i sen a mobo or cpu.

I have built a lot of puters over the years and have never had a single DOA mobo from any manufacturer and I have used them all. Most of the time it's builder error sticking their ungrounded hands all over the borad surface or other knuckle headed install fubars.

I have also never seen a DOA board, or any component for that matter. I'm pretty sure these "doa" people just dont know what they are doing and burned up the component due to stupidity.

Despite having built and run a good number of cases over the years you can still run into a bad board. In fact the first one seen here was on the current build where the board simply quit after 3 days of use.

There was no stupidity or ocing involved but simply wouldn't start up on day #4. A friend asked for help when ordering two boards in a row that were doa out of the box. When advised to change model or make and model the alternative model has run strong ever since.

Dealer's comments? "We got a bad batch of boards in I guess." stated the sales person on the phone. For me that was a first. When an older build wouldn't start one day it was simply the battery on the board that went after a little over a year's use. Common $2-$3 watch/calculator lithium type solved that fast.

Despite having built and run a good number of cases over the years you can still run into a bad board. In fact the first one seen here was on the current build where the board simply quit after 3 days of use.

There was no stupidity or ocing involved but simply wouldn't start up on day #4. A friend asked for help when ordering two boards in a row that were doa out of the box. When advised to change model or make and model the alternative model has run strong ever since.

Dealer's comments? "We got a bad batch of boards in I guess." stated the sales person on the phone. For me that was a first. When an older build wouldn't start one day it was simply the battery on the board that went after a little over a year's use. Common $2-$3 watch/calculator lithium type solved that fast.

And you generally build with all of the precautions I listed above? Regaurdless of the poopooing of anti static measures, it is the ememy (Random electron discharge) of components. It might also be the quality control of Mobo components are heading south since most are produced in China (and I'm not talking about Tiwan). But, I'm just guessing. I must admit that I'm a little befuddled by the Mobo DOA issue since I have never had a bad one out of hundreds. I have only had two DOA's: XFX 7900gt and several PSU's. Enough!

And you generally build with all of the precautions I listed above? Regaurdless of the poopooing of anti static measures, it is the ememy (Random electron discharge) of components. It might also be the quality control of Mobo components are heading south since most are produced in China (and I'm not talking about Tiwan). But, I'm just guessing. I must admit that I'm a little befuddled by the Mobo DOA issue since I have never had a bad one out of hundreds. I have only had two DOA's: XFX 7900gt and several PSU's. Enough!

ive built many systems and only once used a anti static band, maybe if i had carpet i would use one otherwise i dont see the point, static isnt as exagerated as some may think now adays the products are very resistant to it now.

ive built many systems and only once used a anti static band, maybe if i had carpet i would use one otherwise i dont see the point, static isnt as exagerated as some may think now adays the products are very resistant to it now.

Well, I'm a die hard. An once of prevention is worth a pound of RMA. :)

When handling anything going into the case I generally have at least one arm resting against the metal portion. I put cases together for other people as well and simply pass along ones I upgrade out of.

The one and only time a board was seen when getting the current build together. As far as esd precautions I have to be familiar with all of them just from being an Electronic Test Tech over the years as well as custom building cases.

While working at a business all precautions are mandatory since the business is liable for any damages during service. Are they all needed for the home users? Most are optional while playing it safe never hurts either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom