Do I need to apply thermal paste? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Old 12-16-2015, 07:16 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Do I need to apply thermal paste?

Hey guys,

I recently put together my first build, but had to take out the motherboard so I could send it back (I bought the wrong one by mistake and didn't realize it until I had everything installed). I only had the computer running for about 10 seconds so I could see if I had a monitor signal. When my new motherboard arrives, do I need to reapply thermal paste to the cpu/heatsink? I just used a stock heatsink, so I didn't need to worry about applying thermal paste the first time around.

Here's a pic of what the cpu/heatsink look like right now:

harveymilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 08:12 AM   #2 (permalink)
Private Joker
Default Re: Do I need to apply thermal paste?

Clean the old stuff off with at least 90% Isopropyl Alcohol, and a non-lint cloth (I suggest coffee filters, as they're fairly cheap and the least likely to leave behind any fuzz or anything). Then once both CPU and heatsink are clean, apply a new bit of thermal paste. Put it in the center of the CPU, about the size of a grain of rice or so.
Laptop: MSI GT70 2OC-059us | i7-4700MQ | 16GB | GTX 770m | 500GB SSD / 750GB HDD | 17.3" | Win10 Pro
Desktop: 4690k | 12GB g.Skill RipJaws | GTX 970 | 520hx | Z87X-UD4H | Corsair Vengeance C70 | Corsair H110 | Acer 25" | Acer 22" | Win10
Mobile: Samsung Galaxy Note 5

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
carnageX is offline   Reply With Quote