Discussion: A computer case you can mount a monitor to. - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login

Old 07-19-2015, 07:59 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Discussion: A computer case you can mount a monitor to.

Hello readers of Techist,

My name is Ruairí McNicholas, and I’m working on a computer case that I think you’ll like.
In short, I’m working with an engineer, Oliver, to create a case to which you can mount a monitor. It has features for cable management, monitor tilt and height adjustment, and has a carry handle for easy transportation to work and LAN parties.
Sounds good, right?

Our story starts with F1 in Schools; a worldwide technology challenge that aims to get young people involved in engineering. Of 20,000 teams, we were one of 39 who made it to the World Finals in Abu Dhabi. We didn’t win the big trophy and scholarships to City University London, but Oliver gained a deep interest and aptitude in engineering, and I developed my passion and flair for graphic design and communications.

The Crono Labs C1 Case is the spectacular product of two gamers and hardware enthusiasts desire to use a better case, and we’re looking for help from the gaming and hardware community to help us bring our idea to the market.

We’re looking for two things from you: feedback on our ideas, and what your ideas for improving the case are, and help spreading the word and getting our idea out there. You can do that by subscribing to our newsletter, liking our Facebook page and following us on Twitter.

What do you think of our idea so far?
What features would you like to see added?
We want a case that’s of universal interest to all gamers and hardware enthusiasts, not just ourselves, and we need your input to do that.

Early Renders:

More information, as well as our Social Media outlets and newsletter, can be found on our website.

Looking forward to hearing from you guys,

MarcellusCrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 09:28 AM   #2 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Default Re: Discussion: A computer case you can mount a monitor to.

Not too bad for a LAN setup but only issue I see is the size of the monitor or the or the mounting setup being different for different monitors, Also from the view it looks like space would be limited in the case and many gaming GPU's may not fit, Perhaps some more pics with view of the inside of the case with mounting points and dimentions of the case, Looks good for portability but for many gamers with the wide variety of higher end hardware it may not be too good and one other thing to look at is the cooling capabilities of it, Without good airflow in a higher end system heat will become a issue as some systems do run hot and will shut down if they get too hot.

Dauntae

Antec 200 - I7-920 - ASUS P6T - Corsair TX650 it's old but still kicking like a mule
2-EVGA GTX 470 in SLI- ocz vertex 3 SSD 128 gig
Seagate Barracuda 1-TB - OCZ DDR3-1600 12 gigs 3x2
Keeps Me Happy :lol:

If I've been helpful, Please rep me
Dauntae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 11:56 AM   #3 (permalink)
True Techie

Actually I have seen this kind of design before didn't Linus tech tips go over something like this?
MadmanRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 12:07 PM   #4 (permalink)
Build Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadmanRB View Post
Actually I have seen this kind of design before didn't Linus tech tips go over something like this?
He did. Was going to post this has already been done and you can buy it now lol.

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 04:08 PM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dauntae View Post
Not too bad for a LAN setup but only issue I see is the size of the monitor or the or the mounting setup being different for different monitors, Also from the view it looks like space would be limited in the case and many gaming GPU's may not fit, Perhaps some more pics with view of the inside of the case with mounting points and dimentions of the case, Looks good for portability but for many gamers with the wide variety of higher end hardware it may not be too good and one other thing to look at is the cooling capabilities of it, Without good airflow in a higher end system heat will become a issue as some systems do run hot and will shut down if they get too hot.

Dauntae
Thanks for the feedback! We're currently investigating the max size the monitor can take at the moment. Currently it can fit GPU's up to 10.5″ . We'll definitely get back to you with renders of the interior and dimensions. Cooling is one of our top priorities at the moment and we're doing a lot of testing with regards to airflow. Cheers!
Old 07-19-2015, 04:11 PM   #6 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quote:
Well spotted! What Linus reviewed was an AIO. We're looking at making something different, that you can customize with your own parts; not a pre-built €2,000 AIO. Different market
Old 07-19-2015, 09:02 PM   #7 (permalink)
Build Guru

The case Linus reviewed is purchasable by itself and you can put any parts you want in it. It connects to the monitor via VESA mount.

Access to my Plex PM me.
Old 07-19-2015, 09:18 PM   #8 (permalink)
True Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PP Mguire View Post
The case Linus reviewed is purchasable by itself and you can put any parts you want in it. It connects to the monitor via VESA mount.

This is what he and I are referring to

Also this too:

MadmanRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 10:04 PM   #9 (permalink)
Build Guru

Crate is it, you can buy the parts you need to assemble it from their store then put your monitor on it.

Access to my Plex PM me.
Old 07-20-2015, 10:44 AM   #10 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quote:
Both are quite bulky and, IMO, not aesthetically pleasing. As Linus points out, neither allows the monitor to be adjusted, you have to physically tilt the entire system in both cases.

Both are also a lot larger in comparison to the compact solution we're designing. While they are similar to our design, they have countless areas and features that can be improved and added to.