Direct X10 question - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 03:30 PM   #11 (permalink)
Renowned Budgeting Master

Send a message via AIM to Sora
Default Re: Direct X10 question

Quote:
Originally Posted by philbar71 View Post
depends if you have vista or not
but i have 2 8600gts and they rock in DX9 games
They are however still not as fast as their DX9 counterparts around the same price range and will have a hard time playing the mainstream DX10 games due to them being just too slow to handle such graphic intense games that are coming, along with Vista taking up more resources than XP.

4x1GB of G.skill DDR2-800
2 8800GT in SLI
22" Samsung Syncmaster
1 250GB WD and 1 Seagate 7200.10 in RAID 0
Corsair 520HX 3DMark06 Score: 13900
Old 06-25-2007, 03:37 PM   #12 (permalink)
Ste
Do not Stare at my Avatar

Send a message via MSN to Ste

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronkupen View Post
I really don't see dx10 coming to XP just because that is one of the only major selling points that Vista has. Why would Microsoft do that especially when they have already mentioned they will be ending support for XP in a few years.
<My source has no reason to lie.

Hes a beta tester for many software outlets/companies including MS. He also gets engineering samples in the hardware area. Video cards, cpus server motherboards you name it..

Old 06-25-2007, 03:40 PM   #13 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Send a message via AIM to aaronkupen Send a message via Yahoo to aaronkupen

I don't mean to be a ****, but I honestly won't believe it until I see it. That could be a pretty decent blow to the Vista operating system if Microsoft decided to do that -- I'm sure they know this. It doesn't make financial sense at all, and this is a corporation we are talking about.
ATI Radeon HD 5670
Windows Vista Business x64
Old 06-25-2007, 03:42 PM   #14 (permalink)
Renowned Budgeting Master

Send a message via AIM to Sora

it's also a multi-BILLION dollar corporation with more than enough money to release it for XP if they notice not a lot are willing to switch to Vista just yet.
4x1GB of G.skill DDR2-800
2 8800GT in SLI
22" Samsung Syncmaster
1 250GB WD and 1 Seagate 7200.10 in RAID 0
Corsair 520HX 3DMark06 Score: 13900
Old 06-25-2007, 03:42 PM   #15 (permalink)
Ste

It doesn't make financial sense?

Lol.....

XP is still selling. And for good reason. Its has lower system requirments for one.. Not only that but it far more stable than vista is atm. Think about all the businesses and educational facilities still using and buying XP for these reasons. Not to mention its cheaper...
Old 06-25-2007, 03:46 PM   #16 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Microsoft needs to think about their future though. Their newest operating system isn't doing as great as they thought, but if you add in the rush of some new, good direct x 10 games that can only be played on vista you now have a very good selling point. That will also drive more people to invest in the operating system. Educational facilities and businesses are frankly not worried about direct x 10 support, and they will switch to a newer operating system once it becomes cheaper and more stable. This is just common sense.

So no, it does not make financial sense for microsoft to be shooting themselves in the foot by adding their biggest feauture to their older operating system.
ATI Radeon HD 5670
Old 06-25-2007, 03:53 PM   #17 (permalink)
Ste

Im just going to Lol at that rather than waste time writting out yet another explaination.... (Or even restating the truth for that matter)

End of LOL post.
Old 06-25-2007, 03:57 PM   #18 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Send a message via MSN to Vaanish

No i dont agree. DX 10 is Vista's biggest selling point? PC gaming is a minority, even within the gaming community. Most gamers game on consoles, not pcs. What percent of people whom are considering upgrading to/ have already upgraded to Vista, have actually heard of, never mind care about, DX10? Gamers are probably bottom on the list of M$'s concerns, beneath the general public and big buisnesses, who dont really care about PC gaming.
Old 06-25-2007, 04:14 PM   #19 (permalink)
True Techie

Send a message via AIM to nezzari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaanish View Post
Gamers are probably bottom on the list of M$'s concerns
Why would Microsoft even consider supporting DirectX 10 on XP if gamers aren't as important as you say? The money required could be allocated to more important areas.

You have to understand that gaming is one of the only strongholds which Windows has. Linux, OS X, BSD, Solaris, and other OSes are becoming more attractive alternatives to Windows in almost every area. However, compared to Windows, gaming is non-existant in those operating systems. Sure, OS X has quite a few games, but it still can't compete with Windows in that area.

If Microsoft wants to maintain their OS market share, they have to exploit every area they can. DX10 support on XP would give people a reason to stick to XP. Even if they don't state it publicly, Microsoft wants to kill XP. Heck, most software developers want to do the same. They want everyone to upgrade to the latest and greatest.
Old 06-25-2007, 04:18 PM   #20 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Why would microsoft want to have a user stick it out with XP until the support for it ended? By that time Microsoft Vienna will be out which would pretty much make the Vista operating system a waste of time.

You would also be surprised at how the general public does care about gaming in some way. My uncles, friends, and father are not gamers; however, a main reason they stay with windows is becaues they do like to relax and play a game now and then and they know that the selection for other operating systems is miniscule when compared to windows.

ATI Radeon HD 5670
Closed Thread