Direct X10 question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Linux, OS X, BSD, Solaris, and other OSes are becoming more attractive alternatives to Windows in almost every area.

Yes, to us people that know more about computers than 99% of the rest of the population, but I guarantee that if you walked up to an average person on the street, then they wouldnt have heard of any operating syatem other than windows.

My point: that the reason that windows has got an unpresidented share of the market is not because of its excellent gaming support: it's because people are too ignorant, or too scared to try something new, that they will not go away from their beloved windows.

The average person doesn't know what the mac operating system is? With the amazing market share of the iPod, Apple's name has become common place with the average person. In educational settings the buzz is now looking into investing into mac computers - laptops specifically. and i have met many people who have decided not to go with it because of the gaming situation. Who knows what this is like with other users.

Don't underestimate linux either, while most people may not have any idea how to use it htere is some name recognition there and awareness of its existance. Dell now is stocking open source computers ... the point is that there are now more options for the consumer and Microsoft has gaming as a selling point - which should not be underestimated.

The average person doesn't know what the mac operating system is?

I dont see how having heard of the iPod suddenly makes one aware of OS X. I just asked my mum and sister, they both knew what iPods are, buthad never heard of OS X.

In educational settings the buzz is now looking into investing into mac computers - laptops specifically

Well @ my school, we have pots of pcs (over 120) including laptops. They all run on windows. Also, my freind's school, and my sister's school all run on Windows XP.

Don't underestimate linux either, while most people may not have any idea how to use it htere is some name recognition there and awareness of its existance.

Honestly, I dont think that there is a large awareness of the existence of linux in the general public (IMO)

Knowing the exact name - MAC OS X, is irrelevant. The important thing is the awareness of its existance. People are aware that apple makes computers, and that they are not windows. So what if they don't know what mac os x 10.4 is?

My school generally runs on windows machines as well, but I was referring to student use. The appeal of apple hardware has risen greatly.

My point: that the reason that windows has got an unpresidented share of the market is not because of its excellent gaming support: it's because people are too ignorant, or too scared to try something new, that they will not go away from their beloved windows.

Windows got its market share because at the time it really was the simplest OS. It's not that people were ignorant, computers were just too difficult to use. The alternatives were either too complicated or didn't have the features they wanted. Heck, Apple didn't add real color until OS 7.5 or so. Since the industry wanted to expand, computer makers included Windows in their computers since it was relatively simple to use.

If Dell or any other major PC manufacturer decided to include Linux with all their computers, the Windows empire would slowly crumble. As long as people can browse the web, read their E-mail, and type papers, most users will not even notice that they are using Linux. They will probably think it's Windows with a new skin. They don't use Windows because they love it, they use it because it is there.

I never said gaming is Windows's biggest aspect, but is certainly ranks very high up there. History lesson aside, I just can't picture Microsoft officially supporting DirectX 10 on XP. I don't think Microsoft is that clueless.

I dont see how having heard of the iPod suddenly makes one aware of OS X. I just asked my mum and sister, they both knew what iPods are, buthad never heard of OS X.

Well @ my school, we have pots of pcs (over 120) including laptops. They all run on windows. Also, my freind's school, and my sister's school all run on Windows XP.

Honestly, I dont think that there is a large awareness of the existence of linux in the general public (IMO)

i agree thoroughly..... MAcs are rarer than Windows based system... . i mean most average ppl buy from Dell, HP, Gateway......... and those ppl don't offer Mac........ plus Mac's are more expensive for some reason.........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom