direct x10??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I looked up Windows Presentation Foundation and Direct X on Wikipedia. And found this: "According to Microsoft, DirectX 10 will be able to display graphics up to 8 times more quickly than DirectX 9.0c. However, DirectX 10 will not be backward compatible with current versions of DirectX, so computer games made for DirectX 10 will not function on any other model of DirectX. In addition, DirectX 10 will incorporate Microsoft Shader Model 4.0."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DirectX#The_future_of_DirectX

Wow, that sucks that they wont be compatible. Weren't DirectX 7,8,9 compatible?

That just means that you won't be able to use DX10 graphics with DX9 cards. DX9 cards WILL work with DX10 games. For it to be any other way would be MAJORLY stupid and it would also be stupid to assume that it would be so.

Also, I hope you're aware that anyone can change Wikipedia, so you have to be careful. For most things, its fine. But when it comes to such opinionated stuff like computers, caution is suggested.

Flanker said:
That just means that you won't be able to use DX10 graphics with DX9 cards. DX9 cards WILL work with DX10 games. For it to be any other way would be MAJORLY stupid and it would also be stupid to assume that it would be so.

Also, I hope you're aware that anyone can change Wikipedia, so you have to be careful. For most things, its fine. But when it comes to such opinionated stuff like computers, caution is suggested.

Actually, two versions of every game will have to be released for a while, one DX9 for XP and one DX10 for Vista. There will be no "defaulting back to DX9" because the two versions of DX are not compatable. Most likely they will both be on the same DVD or even 2 DVDs though, to avoid confusion.

beedubaya said:
Actually, two versions of every game will have to be released for a while, one DX9 for XP and one DX10 for Vista. There will be no "defaulting back to DX9" because the two versions of DX are not compatable. Most likely they will both be on the same DVD or even 2 DVDs though, to avoid confusion.

I think we've established that DX10 software isn't compatible with DX9 software. But will DX10 cards be able to run at DX9?

AnthraX said:
I think we've established that DX10 software isn't compatible with DX9 software. But will DX10 cards be able to run at DX9?
I heard that DX9 will have to be emulated through DX10 to run older games, which sucks because that means decreased performance.

guess my Summer 06' build will have to wait.... : ( Can't miss out on DX10 fun! and maybe M2? I'll just end up never building a new one. lol. Just keep saving and saving. I'm so confused. I hate technology sometimes...:mad: "I think i need a hug"

Either He's wrong, or whoever He's getting his info from is wrong. This is Windows Vista Ultimate;
Your quotes nice but where did you get it from eh?
I heard that DX9 will have to be emulated through DX10 to run older games, which sucks because that means decreased performance.
Most things that are emulated IE ePSXe have beter performance than the real thing so idk where your getting decreased performance from. I look at it this way, the solution to fix all your delimas has been answered many times. I do it w/ Win95/98/DOS games all the time. Have 2 machines PPL!!! One Vista and one XP. Im sure if you can have a PII and a A64 3500+ at the same time then later on down the road when M2 comes out S939 will be ALOT cheaper and you can have both. Quit making this situation alot worse than it actualy is. My dad is sitting here saying he remembers this same babble going on about DOS and Win95.

And I remember the same thing going on with DX9. What happened? Did all DX8 cards go kaput when DX9 came out?

Chill out people. Microsoft isn't THAT stupid. They wouldn't make 90% of the planet's hardware obsolete, and they wouldn't make Windows Vista without DX10. They also wouldn't make 2 versions of every single game. I don't know if you realize how stupid that sounded...two versions of each game...Do you guys ever think about what you say?

I guess this is what happens when teenagers are too much into Hardware. Go to [H]ardForums or Anandtech Forums and see what real men talk like.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom