Direct X10????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Although Directx10 may be released next year, it will be a while before DX10 features are actually implemented in games....not even the envied Unreal Engine 3 will use DX10, it will be a pure DX9 engine. DX9 was released in 2002, and the first game to use DX9 was Far Cry in summer of 2004. I believe the next Far Cry engine is going to accomplish the same thing, as it will be the first to show a total implementation of DX10.

The developer's kit for DX10 is available for download from Microsoft right now. It is over 300MB, though.

According to the article I read earlier, there will be a period of overlap between DX9 and DX10. Vista will use both, but DX10 will not be backwards compatible with XP... forced obsolescence.

That means we will be forced to upgrade to that piece of sh*t known as Vista and lose our OpenGL support. Its amazing how Microsoft promotes and praises operating systems like XP, then as soon as something new comes out they totally drop support for the old. I can see with Windows 98 and ME because they do suck, but the only real big difference between XP and Vista is a **** skin.

Microsoft sucks.

I'm all for advancing technology and whatnot as long as we don't advance into an unwanted cloud of techno BS. :)

BColes said:
I'm all for advancing technology and whatnot as long as we don't advance into an unwanted cloud of techno BS. :)

Thats pretty much what is happening now. Most games these days aren't much more than tech demos showing off an engine that has been designed to blow away all previous ones. Half Life 2 and BF2 are exceptions. FEAR was pretty good too...I haven't played Call of Duty 2 so I can't make a decision on that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom