a difficult processor upgrade...

Status
Not open for further replies.

soop

Solid State Member
Not sure exactly where this should be...

I recently purchased an old thinkpad with a BIOS problem, and I've been looking at transplanting the 1.1 GHZ processor into my PCG SRX87.

The problem is, I'm having trouble opening the case enough to remove the processor correctly. Before I take a mini saw to it, can anyone give me advice or a technical manual?
If anyone has achived this, I'd be glad to hear from you!

Oh, and while I'm here, does anyone know what the going rate is for micro DIMMs? I'm thinking 512.

oops

Forgot to say - the PGC sx87 (or srx87? I forget) is a vaio sub notebook.

I was trying to post this on a vaio forum, but their infernal registering system got the better of me. cheers!

I've heard from looking around that the CPU is "soldered on" I've had a look, and I don't think that's the case. There are certainly 2 screws holding it down. But my thinking is, that if someone can build it, someone can take it apart.

I'm wondering if the motherboard will take such a high CPU too tho...

best thing you can do is try it. Laptops are easy to take apart. Its putting them back together that is the pain. there should be screws around the bottom corners of it, and there might be some where the hard drive or optical drives slide out.

I've taken out all but 2 visible screws, but they can't be removed with a conventional screwdriver because of an overhang. It's possible that it was assembled with a mini-ratchet or something, but that's why I'm after a good engineering manual or something.

I've also checked the usual (no removeable rubber feet with screws hidden, for example). The problem (read: "remaining screws") seems to be where the hinges are.

Anybody ever completely remove the palm rest bezel?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom