Difference in RAM Speeds - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login

Old 12-09-2013, 09:39 PM   #1 (permalink)
Super Techie

Send a message via AIM to GLaDOS
Question Difference in RAM Speeds

Hi everyone,

I'm building a gaming system this month - the main game being Flight Simulator X. I've got my parts list ready (link below) but had a quick question about RAM speed. I had already purchased my memory (Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600) but am now receiving recommendations for something with faster speeds such as the F3-2400C9D-8GTXD DDR3-2400 2x4GB CAS 9 @$110 and the F3-2600C10D-8GTXD DDR3-2600 2x4GB CAS 10 @$140.

Does the increased ram speeds to 2400 and 2600 make a noticeable difference? I would really appreciate anyone's insight. Thanks so much!!

Parts list:
Intel Core i7-4770K, EVGA GeForce GTX 780, Azza Hurrican 2000R - System Build - PCPartPicker

Old 12-09-2013, 09:45 PM   #2 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Default Re: Difference in RAM Speeds

No, not really, 1600mhz is good enough for everything really unless you're running a server, you wont notice a difference in games with ram faster than that

Spartan109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 10:55 PM   #3 (permalink)
Build Guru

Like I told you before in the previous threads, anything over 1600 is a waste in all areas besides benchmarking and high end productivity. Much like HT is pointless while gaming.

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 11:35 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PP Mguire View Post
Like I told you before in the previous threads, anything over 1600 is a waste in all areas besides benchmarking and high end productivity. Much like HT is pointless while gaming.
Hi PP Mguire. That's true - you did address RAM in original review of my parts list, which I appreciated. But I was merely asking if there was a noticeable difference between beyond 1600MHz, which was not addressed.
Old 12-09-2013, 11:40 PM   #5 (permalink)
Build Guru

Nope, and I'm pretty sure I've said that in almost any thread anybody makes about faster RAM speeds Hence why I said it was a waste. I have 2133 in my machine right now which can also run at 2333. I run them at 1600 because there isn't a reason to run any faster with what I do. If there was any benefit I would recommend faster than 1600 to certain people with the budget that demands it.

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 11:46 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Techie

Well I got the answer I was looking for here.