difference between retail and OEM OS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RalliArt882

Daemon Poster
Hi, I've noticed that OEM and retail Windows XP usually show at least a $100 difference between them on newegg.com

So what is it that makes an OEM XP cheaper than a retail? Does a retail come with something like Office? I'd like to know because I'd like to order an XP Home OEM but I worried I might miss out on something I might need in the future.

with retail, you get the nice pretty BOX and folder that it comes with... OEM is the disk only... (and of course the CD key)

Go OEM...

OEM you can legally install it on one PC which is defined as a case and motherboard. When you swap the case and/or motherboard you should buy a new licence.

Neither come with office.

you can use it over again though just when it says to activate windows you have to call up microsoft.

they will ask you some question and then they will give you an activation key

You can install it as many times as you want. But legally you can't transfer it to another PC/motherboard/case.

Alright sweet. I'm going OEM for sure. Also, do you think newegg will carry OEM copies of Vista soon after they are released?

Trifid said:
You can install it as many times as you want. But legally you can't transfer it to another PC/motherboard/case.

keyword LEGALLY :p TYYK DOES NOT CONDONE ILEAGAL ACTIVITY!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom