Difference between Q6600 and QX6700

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sydzy

In Runtime
So I was thinking of selling my current CPU (e6600) to a mate of mine and investing in a quad core, but looking @ Q6600 and QX6700 I was nearly knocked over at their price difference. Now between e6600 and e6700 there was like $100 Australian more, but this was from $700 to nearly double that, $1370 or something. Q6600 is 2.4 and QX6700 is 2.66, but I'm just wondering, does the Xtreme actually mean anything or is it basically intel saying that this is their top end stuff. as if quad core wasnt already top end enough, ahha, so yeha, is there a MASSIVE difference between these 2 CPUs that justifies the near 100% price increase? I'm sure the extra 266mhz would do wonders on a quad core, so that may justify another $200, but $700!? There gotta be something more to it? amirite?

the multiplier is unlocked so you can overclock by increasing the multiplier...which is pretty useless since you can just increase the FSB

the multiplier is unlocked so you can overclock by increasing the multiplier...which is pretty useless since you can just increase the FSB

With an unlocked multiplier the odds of getting a higher overclock are better. It is also very useful on chipsets which are not capable of extreme FSB speeds (975X chipsets). On P965 chipsets it is easier to get a high FSB speed.

I don't think it is worth spending the extra money. Future processors will be faster, even faster than your über-overclocked unlocked CPU. If you have the money, and want the fastest now, get an unlocked CPU.

With an unlocked multiplier the odds of getting a higher overclock are better. It is also very useful on chipsets which are not capable of extreme FSB speeds (975X chipsets). On P965 chipsets it is easier to get a high FSB speed.

I don't think it is worth spending the extra money. Future processors will be faster, even faster than your über-overclocked unlocked CPU. If you have the money, and want the fastest now, get an unlocked CPU.

aye but the q6600 doesn't have a very low multiplier (9x)....the limiting factor in an overclock on the q6600 will not be FSB related.

lol, if i got the q6600 i wouldnt overclock anyway, im too much of a little girl and afraid of breaking it, that and seriously, who needs an OCed quad core???

lol, if i got the q6600 i wouldnt overclock anyway, im too much of a little girl and afraid of breaking it, that and seriously, who needs an OCed quad core???

The only way you can damage a new C2D that I have seen is by actually TRYING to fry it. Any mobo these days that will let a C2D overclock at all will cut off power once it notices anything wrong.

As for who needs an OC quad Core? Gamers is the answer and heres why.

An E4300 @ 3.0ghz will beat a Q6600 stock in pretty much any game these days, **** it rivals the X6800 really. The Quad-Core is good mainly for multi-tasking and some games but you really want a high clock speed.

I would like to point out that my measly E6300 becuase its overclocked will crush your Q6600 stock in games.

overclocking the quad core to 3.0ghz is as easy as setting the bus speed to 333. It will most likely even do it on stock voltage...if not then just a very small voltage increase like 1.35-1.4

yes, exactly. Most games are single threaded anyway, so you want a much performance as you can get out of each core, so you OC. It also means you can get more performance for your money. My E43 at 3.2GHz easily matches a stock X6800, for a fraction of the price.

i attempted to overclock my qx6800 but when i turned it on it went through usual checks then said overlocking failed, i was like ahhhhh!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom