Difference AMD 64 4000+ and 3800 x2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icarus_got_high

Solid State Member
I have ordered a new pc with the 4000+ single core processor. My main usage will be for gaming. Also for schoolwork and the internet plus I do a little messing around with photoshop but nothing serious.

What I want to know is will I really notice any difference between a 4000+ and a 3800 dual core. The gerneral opinion seems to be that the 3800 dual is better 'future proof'. Will it actually have any more longevity over the 4000+?

Thanks.

But would I notice any big differences in performance, i.e. will games run noticibly differently on the single core to the dual core in the next few years?

In the next few years, games that run on two threads will obviously run better on a Dual Core PC because the two cores will be able to take half of the game each. So if you had a 4800+, it would be like running half the game on 1 regular 4000+ and the other half on the other regular 4000+. However, there is a pricing issue. For roughly the same price, you can get a Dual Core 2.0GHz CPU or a 2.4GHz Single Core CPU. IMO, single core CPUs will always be faster than Dual Core CPUs. If what we're thinking right now is right, then yea, a Dual Core CPU will be better than a single core in games. But I'm starting to question our way of thinking :p Looking at FEAR right now, Dual Core CPUs don't make a crap of a difference (and FEAR is supposed to support Dual Cores). In My Honost Opinion, I think that the increased speed of a 2.4GHz 4000+ will make up for the 2 cores of a 2.0GHz X2 3800+. Seems illogical, but seems true.

Your move.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom