Did I get in the game late?

Status
Not open for further replies.

objecterror

Daemon Poster
well, my pc has been completed for some time, except, i've noticed that the socket type i have; lacks choices when it comes to dual core now.

I have a, now no-where-to-be-found Asus SLi Premiuem Motherboard. Socket type is 939, but, from what i've seen on newegg there are possibly two FX-2's to choose from.

What is this a sign of? Should i look into upgrading my motherboard somewhere down the line?

And, aside from upgrading from single core to dual core, would it fit my needs, i do alot of multitasking, such as a chat program along with a few windows, word editor and a video game playing.

i don't recieve much lag during game play but, my 4000(amd) does it's job. should i add another gig of ram to be safe? or upgrade the actual work house(cpu) to notice a difference?

Depending on what type of games your playing... I'd upgrade the CPU.

I know that games such as FEAR, BF2, Rainbow six Vegas, Prey etc. All need alot more ram than others. (That;s if you want to multi task).

I am running 1gb at the moment, but I can definetly see the advantage of upgrading to 2gb's and will be doing that very shortly.

939 still work fine. The FX-60 is a great CPU, and you can buy good fast RAM that won't hold you back when you overclock.

well it seems that the votes are in, i don't have -money- for the FX-60 but, i've seen it and from what i've heard it out performs alot of cpu's. I don't want to make the jump into multi-cores yet(read: dual / quad) seeing i've only had my build for roughly 3 or 4 months. right now though, i run CS: Source really well and for the money it would take to put in another gig of ram i say it'd be worth it.

I'm running a 3200 single core socket 939. It works great, and can handle what I throw at it. I plan on getting a dual core when I get the money... but that's not in the cards for a while.

While Core 2 Duos and AM2 are the new thing, the old stuff still works. True, it doesn't do superpi as fast, but it will game.

Another gig of RAM, and maybe a beefier GFX card would put you up in the top. Your CPU and other hardware are good to go, as well.

if you got something like this then you would be set... s939 is still a good setup as Trotter has said.

AMD Opteron 175 Denmark 2.2GHz 2 x 1MB L2 Cache Socket 939
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103583

CORSAIR XMS 1GB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820145576

ZALMAN CNPS7700-ALCU 120mm 2 Ball CPU Cooling Fan/Heatsink
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835118114

The only reason I suggest the cooling is Opteron's run slightly hotter than regular Athlon's. but it's worth it.

now, on the XMS memory, i have the same model, except the ram timings are different, will they run dual channel if i put in the different model?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom