Are DFI boards anygood?

Status
Not open for further replies.
i dont think you want to use DFI if your a nOOb... its my understanding they dont come with alot of documentation/instructions. i would recommend ASUS or MSI for your first go.

i dont think you want to use DFI if your a nOOb... its my understanding they dont come with alot of documentation/instructions.
The problem with that is what winds up happening is a few months down the road people decide they want to try their hand at OC'ing since their CPU is getting outdated. BUT THEN, they got a board that wasn't so "HARDCORE" like people say the DFI one is, and they have no OC'ing options.

IMO, you might as well get the DFI unless you absolutely 100% know that you will never ever EVER overclock.

It comes with as much instructions as any other motherboard you'd get.

Like I keep telling people. Yes the DFI has a lot of options, however, most of them are within the RAM alone and people shouldn't be in that section anyway if you dont know what you're doing.

Aside from needing a BIOS flash for dual cores (maybe not on the latest shipped boards) everything should simply be plug-and-play. There was nothing I had to tweak to my board when I first put things in.

Yes experts use the DFI board, this does not mean that "n00bs" should shy away from it.

If anything, look at it as a challenge to learn something new.

On a seperate note, IMO, MSI is a very good stable brand. You CAN OC on them to some degree, but the DFI is hands down the king of OC'ing boards.

ASUS.......I freakin hate ASUS but apparently they make good Intel boards, but kind of slack with AMD boards.

ASUS.......I freakin hate ASUS but apparently they make good Intel boards, but kind of slack with AMD boards.

I have wondered how they got this name... How did they get it? The only problem with ASUS is the A8N-SLI SE doesn't have any firewire ports or jumpers for the front ones. They also seem slightly obsessed with features.

I have wondered how they got this name... How did they get it? The only problem with ASUS is the A8N-SLI SE doesn't have any firewire ports or jumpers for the front ones. They also seem slightly obsessed with features
Well notice I said "I hate ASUS" and not simply something like "ASUS sucks balls" so clearly this indicates it's simply me having a biased opinion against them :)

I had a bad experience with ASUS. The board I had at the time would not run with my FX5700 even though by all means it should have. Got an MSI board and it all worked.....anywho......I don't even want to attempt to explain the horrible time I had with the great 3rd world country tech support from ASUS.

I get an e-mail from a guy named Zyx out of china who can only type broken english and basically blamed the card not working on everything EXCEPT their board.

On top of that, occasionally I've had a few people ask how to overclock at the monthly LANs only to find out they have an ASUS board and it's NEVER given me an easy time OC'ing.

I can only dis agree with the last one. It was pretty simple with mine, as it was, put HTT multi down to 4x and put bus speed up. Granted I only got to 2160mhz from 1800 as I got bored.

But meh anyway, I was going to go for a DFI if it had opticle out.

Trifid aren't you running an s754 setup? its the s939 boards that most people have problems with. not a problem with s754.

Aside from needing a BIOS flash for dual cores (maybe not on the latest shipped boards) everything should simply be plug-and-play. There was nothing I had to tweak to my board when I first put things in.

shouldn't be any need for a BIOS flash any more unless the retailer has some seriously old stock. considering it can take a little while longer for newer stock to hit Australia and i bought my LanParty board in december all BIOSes by now should have dual core support. mine shipped with dual core support.

I can only dis agree with the last one. It was pretty simple with mine, as it was, put HTT multi down to 4x and put bus speed up
Well, the mechanics of it are easy enough yeah, but it's the crap that resulted from changing it.

Kept messing with the hard drives on the SATA lines for whatever reason.

Anywho, the point is, I don't like them, but that's just me :)

shouldn't be any need for a BIOS flash any more unless the retailer has some seriously old stock. considering it can take a little while longer for newer stock to hit Australia and i bought my LanParty board in december all BIOSes by now should have dual core support. mine shipped with dual core support.

True, I forget how long things have been out and whatnot. Dual cores aren't exactly that new now.

Oh yeah, the PCI lock isn't obvious and it has a seperate lock for PCIE which is also not obvious (stupid designer.)

Thanks for your replies people,

Yeah, I bought this board because I figured my cpu would be fast enough for my applications, but if I wanted to tweak it a little it would be there. It was just a bit of a let down. I am glad most of you are getting good results with yours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom