Develop motherboard - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login

Old 04-12-2019, 06:38 PM   #11 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Re: Develop motherboard

I did not say to put 1000 modules of RAM on the processor. I said to create a motherboard that has 1000 memory cards and 100 processor sockets. Memory cards are attached first to the NB. I said to put 1000 memory cards on one chip NB.
ProLiant servers somehow do this. Servers have several memory cards for each processor. I just asked if I needed another NB chip for this. First I need to find an NB chip that supports 500 channels.
Please advise me, the literature for the basic study of the motherboard.

Old 04-13-2019, 07:55 AM   #12 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Please allow me to help you with that.
LMGTFY

Old 04-13-2019, 12:34 PM   #13 (permalink)
Build Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalbrovar View Post
I did not say to put 1000 modules of RAM on the processor. I said to create a motherboard that has 1000 memory cards and 100 processor sockets. Memory cards are attached first to the NB. I said to put 1000 memory cards on one chip NB.
ProLiant servers somehow do this. Servers have several memory cards for each processor. I just asked if I needed another NB chip for this. First I need to find an NB chip that supports 500 channels.
Please advise me, the literature for the basic study of the motherboard.
Going to have to go with Joe on this one, because I already explained to you how that's not possible. Firstly by identifying the fact that the north bridge has been integrated into the CPU for about a decade now, secondly by explaining how the CPU in question limits scalability for both RAM and how many processors can be used at a time. You can't just add a secondary off chip north bridge that will magically support 1000 sticks of RAM or be able to slap on 100 processors like that. I worked professionally with Proliant servers for years and even own a few myself. Each processor in the server has it's own subset of RAM channels which is why an 8 CPU server can have up to 64 DIMMs and a couple TB of RAM. That limitation still comes down to what the CPU can support, hence why I said you'll need to look at other architectures that are scalable in the ways you want then look up an open source motherboard to get the schematics on how these things work for a better understanding.

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 02:25 PM   #14 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I did not know that the north bridge was integrated into the processor.
I use Google translate. I do not know English. We may misunderstand each other.
I am sorry.
Thanks you! I did not immediately understand.
But I still have the question of the RAM connection diagram. I find it hard to find. Can you find it yourself and give it to me?
I found some articles, but there is no information that interests me.
https://www.idt.com/products/memory-...ddr4-solutions
RAM Types and Features | Foundation Topics | Pearson IT Certification
https://www.systemverilog.io/ddr4-in...nd-calibration
https://www.anandtech.com/show/12963...board-review/4
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DDR_SDRAM