Desktop for 4k Video Rendereing

bpm55

In Runtime
I have a coworker that recently got a drone that records 4k video. He is wanting to do some editing and rendering of the videos from his flights.

He asked me to spec a computer that can render a video file efficiently. He isn't extremely concerned with the price, but he does want the best bang for the buck.

He uses Adobe Premier Pro and like I said will be rendering 4k videos.

I have some thoughts on specs for the desktop, but I know there are more knowledgeable people here.

He is currently using a laptop that has a second gen i7 and nvidia 555m. For a 5 minute video the estimated rendered time is about 16 hours or more.

I am going to run some test on my personal machine in the next couple of days, but I know the people here will build something better.

Thanks,
Ben

What's the bitrate and what kind of render times is he looking at wanting? I ask because if he wants to do say, a 30 minute video in less than a day he's going to need some serious power.

I will have to get more information from him. He is talking about short flight videos currently 5-10 minutes.

Not sure about bitrate. I will ask him ASAP.

4k to YouTube. He said mostly 12-15mbps

Last edited:
Well he can do a 4790k rig with 16GB of RAM, or he can do a 5820k with 16GB of RAM. The latter will cost ballpark 800-1000. The 6 core will help him way more.

Is he using a lot of effects?

I think he is just rendering simple edits. I don't think he is doing anything too fancy.

Well if he has a dual core Sandy Bridge i7 and it's taking 16 hours to render a 5 minute clip then yea. "Too fancy" would be something like a Xeon workstation or even a 5960x. If he wants to cut down on that quite a bit for a full 10 minute clip he'll want at least a 5820k. So if you'd ask him what he wants to do that might be better.

So I will try to gather more information from him tomorrow. I just don't know exactly what he is wanting to do other than edit footage from his flights and render it in 4k.

Back
Top Bottom