Dell Dimension 2400 Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

91civicsikid

Beta member
Hello all. I am new to the forum. I know my username is random, but I'm mostly on car forums and couldn't come up with anything else. :lol:

(If you don't care about my story, skip the the questions)
I have done as much research as I can so please don't bash me too hard. This is my first ever attempt at upgrading a computer.
So my dad gave me the responsibility of giving my grandma's old computer just a little more kick. I used the re-install disc for xp and it is running much better but still somewhat slow. After talking to my dad some, he said he'd be willing to pay for a couple small hardware upgrades. After some research, I came to the conclusion that my best bet would be upgrading the RAM from 256mb to 1gb and going from the Celeron to a Pentium 4.

Questions
-Would I bet better getting x2 512mb sticks of ram or 1x 1 gb?
-Which exact products would you suggest? Or are all sticks of ram and all pentium 4's the same? I'm just scared I'm going to order the parts and I'm going to have missed something in the fine print.

Thank for the help. I tried searching as much as I could.

Questions
-Would I bet better getting x2 512mb sticks of ram or 1x 1 gb?
-Which exact products would you suggest? Or are all sticks of ram and all pentium 4's the same? I'm just scared I'm going to order the parts and I'm going to have missed something in the fine print.

Thank for the help. I tried searching as much as I could.

I would go with 2 512MB sticks. And are you going to upgrade the motherboard?

If not I am assuming it can only run a DDR memory. IF that's the case I would go with this set of RAM .

Back to the motherboard, I'm not sure if Celeron and Pentium 4 used the same interface because there is a long line of "Celeron" processors but being as that computer was your grandma's and is running XP I would say it's safe to say it's a socket 478. IF so this is your only choice according to NewEgg, depending on budget it might be a better idea to upgrade to a cheap LGA socket 775 system with a newer CPU.

Just my $.02.

Hope this helps, my advice is to research the computer itself some more and be sure you know which parts are and aren't compatible. Post a link to the manafucturer support page if you want to be sure everyone is on the same page.

-Josh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom