Dell 30-inch Flat Panel Monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.
cwiz said:
you can still find monitors that go up to 2560x1600 and dont cost u your first freakin born

I don't mean to sound childish, but can you show me one? So far the Apple and the Dell are the only two I've seen, but the again I haven't looked very hard.

The General said:
Why would you want a gigantic low res screen for computer? Why not just get a $700 1024x768 projector that does all that and projects to the size of your wall?

Do you know how inconvenient projectors are? The cost of a GOOD one will match or surpass some higher-end plasmas. I hope you have enough room to display a large image on a wall. I could go on. Projectors have their use, and it remains in a large purpose built home theater environment.

If he wants a $2000 computer-only monitor then fine. I am just saying his money can be better spent elsewhere to achieve more than one option and have some cash left over in the end. Who wouldn't want to do that?

Also ...just because a company uses other manufacturer's panels, does not mean it is automatically a great monitor. There are a lot of companies using the same monitor with significantly different quality picture and build.

I was being sarcastic about the projector, clearly resolution means nothing to you, so from now on I'll ignore your suggestions.

The General said:
I was being sarcastic about the projector, clearly resolution means nothing to you, so from now on I'll ignore your suggestions.

Do you realize you are still arguing a completely different point than I ...still! Even after I told you this in a previous post?

I am merely answering his original question: "Is it worth it?" Am I not entitled to an opinion that may help him make some better decisions with his money? Isn't that what a message board is for - getting help?

The General said:
I don't mean to sound childish, but can you show me one? So far the Apple and the Dell are the only two I've seen, but the again I haven't looked very hard.

I may have been wrong about other companies offering the resolution... but i have found it for less than $2200

$1800

the response time on this monitor is 11ms... how can you market it as a 'ultrasharp gaming mega monitor' when it has that kind for response? oh well, dell will sell you anything:rolleyes:

That's the same monitor, just cheaper. Isn't it? And besides, even between that Dell and the Apple, I'd still go with the Apple which is the same price. :classic:

I think it's hard to get low response times on bigger monitors, at least it seems like it would be that way. Notice all the 2ms ones are like 17" or 19", and the 24"s are like 8ms at best. I dunno..

Midnight said:
Do you realize you are still arguing a completely different point than I ...still! Even after I told you this in a previous post?

I am merely answering his original question: "Is it worth it?" Am I not entitled to an opinion that may help him make some better decisions with his money? Isn't that what a message board is for - getting help?

Here's the bottom line:

The HDTV's you're talking about are good for watching DVD's and HDTV and maybe Blu-ray disc's or HD-DVD's, but they suck for using as an every day computer monitor. I know people who use then, and they get tired of it and switch to 17" LCD's and prefer that as their monitor instead, and watch movies and stuff on the TV. It may be a better value, but it would be annoying.

The General said:
The HDTV's you're talking about are good for watching DVD's and HDTV and maybe Blu-ray disc's or HD-DVD's, but they suck for using as an every day computer monitor. I know people who use then, and they get tired of it and switch to 17" LCD's and prefer that as their monitor instead, and watch movies and stuff on the TV. It may be a better value, but it would be annoying.

That is subjective, and something he will have to determine on his own. That is the problem with third party comments and reviews though. Your ears and eyes are not identical to everyone elses.

BestBuy and CircuitCity both occassionally display large screen LCDs hooked up via DVI from a computer. As you would expect, Dell and Apple stores will no doubt have their 30in monitors on display. I have seen both setups myself, which is why I think he should visit those stores, though not enough to give them a solid review. For me, it all boils down to my money's "worth." Can I get an LCD that looks great as a monitor, as many have claimed (google it), while at the same time use it for HDTV, HD-console gaming, HD-DVD, Blue-Ray, etc.

Ok, this is silly for me to continue.

No, it's silly that you would even consider using a TV as a monitor.

I'm done here.

[awaiting a snide response thats inevitable, one for which I feel nothing.]

:eek:

You are making yourself look ignorant.

I have always agreed that for a monitor, Dell or Apple would be a good choice. However, and I am ashamed that I have to repeat this to you so often, his money can be utilized more effectively if he expands his choices. I have stuck to that point since the very beginning, but you always avoid it in an attempt to win some silly argument ...of which has sadly required me to clarify what you are not grasping.

I'm sorry ablaye this had to take place in your thread. I hope somehow it has helped though.

Oh, and general... and I really wish you would atleast look up the definition of "snide" before you use it. I don't notice anything snide about what I have said. And if you felt nothing you wouldn't have continued to respond ...which would be wise for you at this point.

***Ok... maybe that last part was snide. :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom