Decisions, Decisions...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter.Cort

TF's First Dry Ice User!
Ok, so I'm at a bit of an interesting place right now. I've got a clean slate on a major build. I've got everything but the big 3; Motherboard, CPU, GPU.

I've got 2 options to myself.

1. AMD
2. Intel.

Here's my rationale for AMD. Through work AMD has an EPP program in which I can get a 4850 and x3 8650 for $150. All I would then have to do is pick up a board and I'll be good to go.

Rationale for Intel. Through the Intel EPP I can get a q9300 and DP45SG Extreme for 300. In both scenario's it's a lot of money saved but each has it's drawbacks. The AMD leaves me with a mediocre CPU, but the ability to upgrade to Phenom II if I want. The Intel is a decent CPU, a good Mobo, but I would need to get ddr3 which I'm not sure I want to splurge on, especially when I just picked up a lovely set of OCZ Reapers from Veed.

I could just not use any of the EPP things, and go from scratch. In which case I would most likely go Intel because Newegg has the MSI P45 Platinum Open Box for like $85 shipped which is smexy. Part of me also really would like to go AMD and pick up a Phenom II..

My budget is pretty low, as in the lower the better, but some money is acceptable to spend ;)

Also this game will be doing basically no gaming, I really just want it to benchmark like crazy and be a HTPC.

All suggestions are welcome on where I should go.

i built a computer just to get super pi gold then sold it.

I'm a follower of nosboostism, so benchies come first ;)

home theater pc ? i think...lol

Ya that's it....

If you want to be a benchmarker pro, Intel is obviously the first choice.. however there's no way you can take any record here with a q9300... at least with a PII you can have a high chance of taking the SuperPI score like you wanted to before with Intel

lol petey.....you have no idea what you are doing.

Hey ive got a core contact sitting here unused. Ima be picking up a xigmatek rifle instead.

I'd say go for the AMD right now. Honestly... Will you even notice the difference in CPU's? unless you doing some heavy work or gaming, you probably won't even notice if your using an AMD or INTEL chip. Now your benchmarks won't be as high, but unless you have an unlimited budget, you not building for bragging rights.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom