decision time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nagasama

disgruntled ex-moderator
okay i am going to try my hand at an intel build (shocking, i know). i only need the cpu, mobo and a cooler. i may buy a new case, but i will decide that later.
lol...after all this time of making suggestions to others, i CANNOT make the decision between these...
here's what i got :

1) q6600 and this mobo: Newegg.com - BIOSTAR TPower I45 LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards
...supposed to be a MONSTER overclocker 600+ FSB 0.o (combo deal at newegg @ 354.98)
this cooler (i like the design, plus it will aim straight at my vent hole):
Newegg.com - XIGMATEK HDT-D1264 120mm Rifle CPU Cooler - CPU Fans & Heatsinks
i have a 15 dollar credit on my newegg account, so this set up will run me 364.18

2) e8400 and this mobo Newegg.com - ASUS P5Q Pro LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards (also a combo @ 319.98) also supposedly a heavy-hitter OC mobo....
same cooler as above and this setup will run me 345.97 after credit.

3) q6600 and the p5Q pro - 375.97 after credit.

4) e8400 and the biostar p45 - 365.67 after the $15 credit.

biostar board voltage regulators are 4-phase, asus' are 8. which seems kinda important, but i dont know if it will affect oc'ing.
i am torn between getting a fast dual and a great mobo and upgrade when the 45nm quads are reasonable, or buying a fast quad and a great mobo and upgrade when the 45nm quads are reasonable lol.

inputs? opinions? i plan on ordering tommorow morning after i sleep on it (almost as shocking as me buying an intel lol). so let's hear it!
i really wish they had a 6600 and a p5q pro combo. :(

You might want to double check that the cpu cooler will clear that huge nothbridge heatsink on the Biostar P45. It looks like it will fit but it never hurts to be sure.

I'm with Vernong, Choice 1.

BTW Welcome to the Dark Side.

the fan/additional heatsink that comes with the board would likely impede any cpu heatsink...did you see that thing????
it is optional, it doesn't have to be there. but the heatsink itself is rather large.
i wonder how i would find that out?

how about the regulators? no big deal using 4 phase? or is 8 phase way better?

lol v-dogg i am tired of arguing AMD's case. :p watch...i'll put this rig together and nehalem will crap out because intel doesnt have the IMC down yet and the 45nm phenoms will be stompin...lol just my luck!
fear not, the AMD box will still be kickin.

For power management ASUS has used an 8-Phase Power Design, intended to reduce input ripple current, and output ripple voltage; keeping the CPU and power modules from the risk of high power stress. As a result, the lifespan of CPU and power modules should be much longer and the system more stable in overclocking. Essentially, splitting the load over more power phases lowers individual phase temperature, and allows for quick transient response and dependability. 8-Phase will respond faster than typical 4-phase power designs, acting to stabilize output current and voltage. This is especially useful when the CPU requires immediate current when under load or overclocking, also reducing over-current when the CPU comes off a heavy load, further stabilizing the system.

hmmmm...i might be more interested in the p5q pro....there are some monstrous fsb speeds coming off it as well. it's the same chipset in any event...

yeah thats what i was thinking too, puddle.
lol peter yessir i had planned on keepin this box going too. maybe getting a lightweight v-card and get my wife into gaming. then we could have our own little lan party.
i'll keep you in mind if i do decide to sell it.

anyways, what do you guys think of 4 phase versus 8 phase power?
obviously, i want the most stability. seems like a no-brainer i guess.
looks like the q6600 wins, though.
i will continue to take advice or tips though the nite, so feel free to keep any coming that ya'll may have.
peter, i will be contacting you shortly about my little pony. lol.

p45 has been out for a while i believe. and most crossfire has 16x/16x but that might only be on like x38/x48 and the 790fx boards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom