Is this a decent non-gaming system?

Status
Not open for further replies.
DJ-CHRIS said:
That power supply DOES NOT suck. It is fairly uncommon, but it's a quality power supply that doesnt get much attention around here. Sunbeam is quality and a decent choice.

Only thing I would change about your system is the hard drive. Maxtor are fast, but unreliable. Western Digital or Seagate drives are only what I would buy.

Also XFX are not a good brand to buy. For a high end PC like yours, I would probolly get a 6600GT anyways as they are only slightly more expensive. For graphics cards look at brands like eVGA, Leadtek and BFG.
LOL, thank you. I know guys are trying to help, and I appreciate it, but it bothers me when people say "don't get that", only because they don't know anything about the product.

Funny you mention the HD, alot of people have told me I shouldn't go w/Maxtor, not only because of their fail rate, but also because it's a well known fact that the Maxtor SATA drives have issues with the nForce4 chipset. While there is a fix to that problem(turn of NCQ, update software and firmware), I don't know that I want to deal with that so I have decided an 80gig Seagate Barracuda will serve as a worthy replacement. Not really too worried that it's half the size of the Maxtor drive I was going to go with because I've got a 160gig Maxtor that I'll be using as my secondary HD. 240gigs will be more than enough storage for me.

I have also been hearing that I should avoid xFx like the plague and rest assured you guys have finally talked some sense into me:D
Which one I'm going with hasn't been decided yet, I am going to make some trips to some computer shops and see what kind of info I can get from them. While a 6600GT doesn't cost much to you guys, it's about double what I really want to spend for a vid card, mainly because i'm not a gamer so for the most part, it would be overkill. But again, nothing is set in stone.

HAVOC2k5 said:
I wouldn't get that power supply, not because of the name, but because it's modular. Modular power supplies have an unfavorable flaw. Due to the plugs, it becomes interrupted current, which builds up resistance. Resistance can cause fluctuations in voltage, something you do not want in your PC. This will cause random restarts or BSODs.
If that's the case, why are more and more PSU makers going modular, including OCZ, Antec, etc?

Also, please supply links that support your theory.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom