Is this a decent gaming laptop?

What was said before it all depends what games you're going to be playing. You really don't need a system like Alienware; not worth the cost. You'd be almost better off making your own laptop to meet your specs. If you're really into gaming I would suggest making your own desktop; can get more output.

What was said before it all depends what games you're going to be playing. You really don't need a system like Alienware; not worth the cost. You'd be almost better off making your own laptop to meet your specs. If you're really into gaming I would suggest making your own desktop; can get more output.

Firstly, you really can't "Make" a laptop.

Secondly, there is value to the added cost of Alienwares, and yes I have one. Alienware supports upgrades, and so as long as the hardware type, cpu/gpu socket stay the same, you can upgrade. Which reduces life time cost.
There are many AW17 owners replacing 260/280s with 880s right now.
As well, the cooling on them is above top notch, which is quite important on a gaming laptop.

Firstly, you really can't "Make" a laptop.

Secondly, there is value to the added cost of Alienwares, and yes I have one. Alienware supports upgrades, and so as long as the hardware type, cpu/gpu socket stay the same, you can upgrade. Which reduces life time cost.
There are many AW17 owners replacing 260/280s with 880s right now.
As well, the cooling on them is above top notch, which is quite important on a gaming laptop.

I'll stick with MSI for the forseeable future :p. My friend's M17x R3 is way heavier compared to my MSI, or even my Asus that my wife has now. A good 3-4lbs heavier I believe.

The only thing an Alienware has for them is the name and their looks. I'd much rather spend my money on a Eurocom because at least it's upgradable and supported by the company. They also allow you to change the panel.

There are several different Eurocom models. Their standard adapter on their gaming, workstation, and server models is the 300w, upgradable cheaply to 330w, and their higher end models offer a 600 and 660w option as well.

Nowhere on the Alienware website do I see anything about "easy upgrades", nor do I see panel selection. Eurocom explicitly states "easily upgradable MXM blah blah" on their option setup and their underside picture shows how easy it would be to do just that. I can also choose what kind of screen setup I want on most of their models whereas it appears (like always) that with Alienware you get what you get.

On the flip side, Eurocom also has available full out desktop processor options on a couple of their models. One being a 4960x or full Xeon processors in a 12lb package. You also have several options for each model rather than being held back specifically to what Alienware wants you to buy. For instance, their 17" model for 4 grand appears to only have a single GPU and only the 880m. The 18" model only offers dual GPU m290x or 880m. Eurocom allows you to have any GPU setup in several of their laptop models including Quadro options for less.

Alienware is all name and hype man.

Back
Top Bottom