Decent gaming build - ?'s - Page 3 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 04:27 PM   #21 (permalink)
Lord of Bacon

Default Re: Decent gaming build - ?'s

Quote:
Originally Posted by theanimal View Post
Before I order everything, I'd still like to know if I shouldn't be going for the raid0?
IMO depends on what you are putting on the HDDs. Windows is ~15-20GB for reference.
So if you use the extra space on the SSD for games then I'd say raid isn't worth it, but if you want to put all your games on the HDD and just Windows and a few other programs on the SSD then go for it.

Pretty much if you need the data on the HDDs fast (~30% faster than non-raid), then raid.
If you just want storage space and your current 7200RPM drive doesn't bother you, then just get a 1TB.

i5 3570k | 8GB G.Skill 1600MHz | R9 290 | SeaSonic 750X
Old 04-26-2012, 04:50 PM   #22 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roark View Post
IMO depends on what you are putting on the HDDs. Windows is ~15-20GB for reference.
So if you use the extra space on the SSD for games then I'd say raid isn't worth it, but if you want to put all your games on the HDD and just Windows and a few other programs on the SSD then go for it.

Pretty much if you need the data on the HDDs fast (~30% faster than non-raid), then raid.
If you just want storage space and your current 7200RPM drive doesn't bother you, then just get a 1TB.
Very simply put and easy to understand. Thank you.

Old 04-26-2012, 07:15 PM   #23 (permalink)
Build Guru

I was going to say the same thing but got side tracked by nap time. My bad

Just think of RAID as SLIing your drives. Thing is, you get almost 100% increase in speed that way but it is a pain in the butt just to do it with storage. Unless you need a MASS amount of storage like RAID0 2 4TB drives.

Access to my Plex PM me.
Closed Thread