Dealing with ram, I've got a few questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

smashedpumpkins

In Runtime
Well to start off I was looking at getting the following...
Newegg.com - G.SKILL 4GB(2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail

However I'm noticing some better ram. How much better is DDR2 1066 PC2 8500? Isn't there DDR3 ram? (I assume it's not bang for your buck at all to go with DDR3) Should I find some better ram then instead of the above link? I was looking at a few here.
Newegg.com - GeIL 8GB(4 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Quad Kit Desktop Memory - Retail
Newegg.com - GeIL 4GB(2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail

So how high does the ram go up? Let me know what you know! Thanks in advance. By the way the post isn't much related to my specs, but I'm building a pretty extreme computer with some top notch specs. I'm still keeping the price down with bang for your buck items, but I don't know much about ram. Let me know what you think about these better ram sticks and anything you know! Oh and I think I'm considering the 4GB ram right now and possibly 8 in the future. I'd like to stick to 2 gig sticks for the time being. (I'll be using Vista 64 bit)

Randy

EDIT: Looks like GeIL has some PC2-9280... I can't find any on newegg though.
PC2-9280 DDR2-1160+ Dual Channel Kit - Products - Geil USA

as per your first link
Newegg.com - G.SKILL 4GB(2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail
these were just released for sale 1 month ago. They've got tighter timings and a better review. will OC better a bit as well I believe. i'm cursing that they arent sold in canada yet hehe. tryign to find someone in the us to ship em to me.

As per the other stuff sorry i've no clue. I never considered anything above 800.

Anyone know if those overclock well? Seems like my kinda RAM...

as per your first link
these were just released for sale 1 month ago. They've got tighter timings and a better review. will OC better a bit as well I believe. i'm cursing that they arent sold in canada yet hehe. tryign to find someone in the us to ship em to me.

As per the other stuff sorry i've no clue. I never considered anything above 800.

I see I'm in the same boat. I don't know much above 800 either. Anyone have some knowledge here?

On another note.... WOW
Newegg.com - Patriot Extreme Performance 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 15000) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail

XD the price is scarier than the timings O_O.

I've heard nothing of great reviews for overclocking G.Skill. Only cons in anyones reviews seems to be the price, as they're expensive. I'm assuming with the tighter timings they would OC better than their predecessor the PQ's. Thats all just an assumption though.

Buy a set and mail em up to me on thursday(payday) and I'll let you know hahaha XD

that is quite cheap but you can get Ballistix for cheaper...and I've never seen a set of ballistix that didn't do 1066mhz

that is quite cheap but you can get Ballistix for cheaper...and I've never seen a set of ballistix that didn't do 1066mhz

I see. I'm assuming that's with ocing. I really don't know anything on ocing. I figured I'd work with what I have and slowly learn some and experiment. I plan to sli 2 8800gt on an evga 680i and man out 8 gigs of ram (Maybe, or only 4 right now. Depends. Should I go with the cheap $85 of GeIL 8gigs for $450?)

I'm thinking about going with the 8 Gigs now. (The 4 gigs GeIL is sold out for a week) The other ram looks pretty cheap from random reviews. Any news on GeIL and ocing with them?

8 gigs will probably not even run...and if it does, you can forget about any overclocking.

Why do you need 8 gig? 2gb is plenty for most, 4gb is the most i would recommend.

I'm on 2gigs now and I run horribly slow. AMD 4200 processor. I run 3 monitors and 30 plus apps at all times. Most Adobe, Office and a lot of FireFox windows. I run an at home business. 4GB should be fine, but I figured 8 would be amazing. I figured it might be hard to get 8gigs to run, but if you have any info on why it wouldn't... Let me know for sure. I could possibly sell the remainder 4 on ebay then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom