Dead Pixels

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slayer

In Runtime
I am looking into buying a flat panel monitor. I have never had an lcd monitor before, but a 21 inch CRT just wont fit in a dorm room very easily. I know that current flat panels have performance that is comparable to CRT's, but i have been reading about dead pixels. one of my friends has a monitor with a dead pixel, and it is extremely anoying. after looking into it, aparently the industry standard says it is acceptable to have up to 5 dead pixels, which i think is pathetic. Is this just a problem for cheaper screens or will i still get dead pixels if i buy a higher end lcd? what percentage of monitors get dead pixels? If i have one, will a warranty cover that?

I was worried about the same thing when I was buying one, but mine is fine, most are. Just make sure you get a good model.

I bought my LCD at WalMart.

Why?

Because if it had dead pixels, i could just walk back in and exchange it.

Plus, I'm not a gamer, so I wasn't worried about refresh rates and whatnot. but we do watch a lot of DVDs on this monitor, and I have not seen any ghosting.

I wouldn't worry about getting that many dead pixels, I've never seen an LCD with 1 or 2 dead pixels. I have a red one on my powerbook and it's hardly noticeable, only on dark backrounds.

get a good monitor, i have a 17" samsung syncmaster 730b. never had a problem with it. looks ice too 8ms refresh rate also, i bought mine at circuitcity for like 350 but it had a 100 rebate on it the rebate was rather slow though. you should check out this monitor, so far ive convinced 2 of my friends to get the same one and they love it, they thank me alot

so it sounds like the chances of me getting one arent that good. but if i did, would a warranty cover that? or would they simply say that dead pixels are expected? becuase some people might not be bothered by them but i would definately notice it.

Trotter said:
I bought my LCD at WalMart.

Why?

Because if it had dead pixels, i could just walk back in and exchange it.

Bingo!!!

The best thing when buying an LCD from anywhere is to ask what the their policy is on dead pixel's,Bigger store's like walmart and that don't really worry about getting return's,But you get some of those little mom & pop store's where the screen has to be half dead before they will let you return it :angry:

I haven't noticed any dead pixels on my 21" HD Gateway LCD. I believe Gateway's policy is based on where the dead pixels are located. They'll replace it if you have less than 5 pixels anywhere other than the edge of the screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom