DDR3 reaches 2,032MHz!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
i was talkin bout memory ram not vga ram
I was talking about both.
He wants ram that has a faster clock than his computer...:)

Which...i think...is starting to get rediculous...the only reason people will even need ram this fast is for extreme OCing or benching. For gaming and practical use i dont see the benefits of having anything faster then DDR2 1000....anything faster then that, would you really be able to tell a difference in the way your computer operates, other then the numbers on paper or in benchies? no....
Folding@home?

wow...I didn't know the ram's speed affected F@H. I thought it was the speed of the CPU.

Yes, I agree...I just don't think of the ram as much, as the CPU, when it comes to folding. But now I will...thanks..

Yes. Unlike AMD's architecture, DDR3 support for Core 2's only requires a chipset change

DDR3 support for AMD means changing the CPU itself, but it pays off in terms of bandwith and latency.

does that mean that i can't use ddr3 on some nforce based chipsets/ati chipsets/intel chipsets?

No, Apokalipse was just saying that in order for the Core 2s to use DDR3, they just had to change the chipset. DDR3 is only supported on the newer chipsets, like Bearlake, if thats what you were asking.

RAM is really just much larger slower off die cache that the CPU needs to operate without having to go all the way back to the hard drive. Faster RAM = Faster execution of any and every CPU instruction as there is less lag time between the communication of CPU and RAM. I suspect we'll eventually see a transition period where RAM becomes the effective speed of the CPU, and then even more bizzare, it will probably surpass CPU speeds, meaning the CPU becomes the bottleneck while the RAM has to wait for it to catch up.

I suspect after that point external memory will be dropped completely in favour of integrated on die cache. Either way faster memory seems to be of increasing importance especially with new concepts of integration, specifically slapping CPU and GPU on a single die.

And to clarify, DDR4 does not exist. GDDR and DDR are not the same thing

That said, the actual bandwidth of DDR3 is rather disappointing. I can get around 7GB/sec bandwidth with DDR1-600 on an AMD64 yet this DDR3 which performs over 3 times as many cycles is only about 3GB/sec faster

No, Apokalipse was just saying that in order for the Core 2s to use DDR3, they just had to change the chipset. DDR3 is only supported on the newer chipsets, like Bearlake, if thats what you were asking.

oh great so quad-core kentsfields are unsupported??

No, the Kentsfields are supported. You just need an LGA775 motherboard, that supports DDR3. Like the Bearlake chipset, X38. I could be wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom