DDR3 the future of RAM?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What do you want to use this PC for?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

PC will be used for quite a bit... I need essentially something that I can watch movie/ download large file/ play game all at same time. I use a 3 monitor setup 1vga 1DVI and my 52 Sony as my tv/movie player. Right now I can only watch movie/ do one other thing besides play game. Comp is not powerful enough and I have gotten back into games a lil... also I am big downloader and streming video watcher...

My dream would be to have SlingBox open watching TV on my 52 Sony... Playing a game on my 20' inch asus thru and have BitLord downloading a torrent... have mozilla open with multiple tabs and be able to hold up when my virus scan kicks in....

Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD4P LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards
Newegg.com - Patriot 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model PVT36G1333LLK - Desktop Memory
Newegg.com - Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

Theres the basic setup now do some research yourself for the rest and come back and we will tell you whats good and bad little point us telling you everything part of the enjoyment is the research on what to get and the new and exciting tech constantly being made available.

^ nice, but for $15 more this ram is worth it.

Newegg.com - OCZ Flex EX Series 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kits Desktop Memory Model OCZ3FXE1600C7LV6GK - Desktop Memory

Hi, I am building a new computer and have been reading a lot about DDR3 ram. I know most people say it is not worth it right now and I understand that, but what about 3-5 years down the road? When DDR2 ram came out it was very expensive and not finely tuned... now there is a market and it has exploded. Won't the same happen to DDR3 in the near future? I have kept my current build FOREVER since I bought a motherboard with DDR2 support when it FIRST came out. I understand DDR2 is EX ram and will probably be around for years to come I just do not want to be TOO far behind the bend in a few years.

My question is should I go all out and get a motherboard with DDR3 capability or get a really good DDR2 motherboard. I do not want to go over $120. I found one DDR3 that I like for now but it is not great.

The 2 boards I can afford with DDR3 are:

Intel BOXDP45SG LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard

GIGABYTE GA-EP45T-UD3LR LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard

Thanks again

if you decide against the i7 then i strongly recommend that gigabyte mobo over the intel one. i have it. hit 545 FSB with not too long ago.

^ well, there is no guarantee that the patriots will overclock to the OCZ's speed. and plus those OCZ's can hit 2000MHz can the patriots do it? i doubt it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom