Is DDR2 that much better than DDR ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Katmandu

In Runtime
I'm pondering upgrading to a Socket 939 MB that supports my older DDR Ram.

I'm curious if I should just hold out and save up for a MB that supports DDR2 ?

I'm not a gamer but I do ALOT of multi-tasking and surfing.

Would DDR2 really help my application ?

Well, it depends. DDR is pretty much 100% phased out. Any new release mother uses ddr2 ram. It is a little better at overclocking. As time has brought it along, yes it is better. (cheaper too)

Even though it runs at 800mhz or 667mhz versus 400. The timings on ddr2 are a lot looser, and they can't handle as many volts. So it isn't an insane performance boost like you may have thought.

But from the looks of it you don't like to upgrading all the time. :p, so I think you could go with a AM2 board, a x2 cpu and some ddr2 667mhz ram. You can get 2 gigs for under $60

Plus DDR ram is a little more expensive, compared to DDR2, because of the limited availability. DDR2 are at their record lows, in terms of pricing.

DDR2 also requires less voltage to run, than DDR.

DDR2 gets way better benchmarking results but as you said you're not a gamer then again its best to have the latesst hardware despite DDR3 has arrived

no. i dont understand where that came from. ddr2 is still great. obviously ddr3 due to the high speeds is good aswell but i would not consider upgrading till the timings get to that of ddr2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom